Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:buds:

My husband is not complaining today...he's up to camp celebrating breaking the curse.....Lemon Schnapps anyone?

In the past 4 years my son has gotten a doe 3 of those years, my husband has failed to get a deer when the boy gets one...and the one year Daddy produced a NASTY buck...huge but in full rut. The meat was STRONG!

Today is the last day of rifle season......DH got a young spike horn....my son got a doe a couple weeks ago.....there is ZERO freezer room.

Looks like I'll be jerking and canning......

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Woo Hoo to the broken curse and the full freezer. And I'll take peppermint schnapps in a cup of hot chocolate. :buds:

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL

It was 3 bullets .....2 misses on bigger deer earlier in the season!

And on this deer he tried to pull the trigger twice and nothing happened! He got a third try after checking the safety and unjamming a bullet!

I putting the 3rd turkey in the oven tonight! Canned up milk today....wearing the canner out lately!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
3 bullets, not bad :)

My Hubby shot at a 4 point a couple of weeks ago, but he missed too....that was his one and only chance to get a buck....

sorry for the thread drift, but do u pressure can the milk? For how long? That's a good way to preserve extra, I had never thought of that....

Is this the last turkey or are you going to go out to get more still? You sure caught a great deal there!

Annie

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last turkey...normally we raise broilers but feed prices were crazy so none this year...I do have 14 roos that also need to go in the freezer from Broody Bantams--half are barred rock crosses others are bantam or partridge sized....good food as its all free range!

I actually water bath the goat milk for 1hr...but if the pressure canner is in the kitchen I use it as my water bath pot...just swap pot covers
The milk is primarly for calves when I can get them cheap...I've got two ready for veal in about a month. My local holstein (hormone free) dairy uses me good on the calves and my daughters take good care of them (and enjoy doing it!)

This is my first big year of pressure canning meat....but the steer and pig and corn broc. and green/yellow beans have used up all avail. freezer space and the steer and pig were smallish! I did can more than half of the beans!
My son is 14 and my oldest daughter is 13.....they eat so much but they also work hard!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That worked out great for you, didn't it....to buy turkey instead of raising the broilers....money wise, that was a great way to do it...I wish I could find turkey deals like that!

Thanks for the milk info, I am going to make a note of the processing time. We get goat milk from one of our neighbours...we really like it...

My hubby is starting to talk about getting a feeder calf next year, we'll see what happens....we still have a lot to do around here before we can get a calf, I think.

isn't it great to see the freezer full, and canning jars full? It's a wonderful reward! It sounds like you've done a really good job stocking up.

Annie

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I just put up 70 quarts of goat milk -- I like to have it on hand for kids just in case. Also, our friend is bringing us FIVE deer back from Montana on Tuesday!

Guess I'll have plenty to do next week.

Tracy

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I had to pull tomatoes out of the freezer and process them into salsa and chilli sauce. I didn't have a canner setup at the time the tomatoes were ripe.

I was so happy when hubby got the first young doe - I love venison. Then he filled his second tag for that county, a young buck (antlerless). Two, wow! Then I came home Wednesday and he said to look in the shop - three deer!!!

He had a tag for our home county also, and walked out behind the tree line and scared up two does, and got another one for the freezer. These are all small deer, but great eating!

I'm going to be canning and making jerky the next several days. At least it's cold enough here in SD to use the shop as a walk in cooler this time of year.

We also have a late antlerless only season in January. Son is coming home to try his luck, so there may be even more.

Cathy

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"These are all small deer, but great eating!"

I couldn't agree more!

Hey Tracy! We canned 117 quarts over the Spring and summer and when a deal on calves came along (buy 2 @$20 each and he threw in a freebie with a twisted front leg) I was happy I had all that milk as it was time for a couple to dry off...The twisted leg calf mended well and is doing great and just as big. Have fun cutting meat!

My 14yo son cut up the doe he got mostly himself....but this one will go to the butcher as we will probably be "gifting" meat this Christmas.

Macy ---you reminded me...I think I have about 20 pkg of frzn tomatoes that I could can up now....that's a little room!

Today I have to go South to deliver my Nubian buck to new owners from Mass. so I won't have much time for the Kitchen work....it'll be a nice break!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts