the country is not the city. ok

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ace admirer, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Moving To The Country From The City

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by rhudson on July 07, 2003 at 00:38:25 from (12.43.219.254):

In Reply to: Moving To The Country From The City posted by sherry on July 06, 2003 at 17:21:13:

i get in trouble with this every time, but i never learn.

a. animals also live in the country, sometimes a lot of animals, like cows. they smell, they make noise, they sometimes get out of their place (just like kids) think of the problems you have controlling your teenagers and multiply that by the number of cows and you get an idea of the problems a cattle farmer faces. if you purchase a plot near a pasture, there will be times that a hundred or more cows will be against a fence next to your property. its not personal, it may the temperature is better there.

b. what is a beautiful hay field today may be a pasture tomarrow.

c. roads are bad, narrow and agricultural traffic will be present. thats means you will sometimes have to stop or follow slow (12mph) equipment with no room to pass for long stretches of road. it is bad form to drive these roads at speeds of more than 35mph. there will be mud on the roads at wet times of year. there will be dust during dry times of year. in some areas the roads will not be clear of snow or ice for weeks at a time. while the use of the horn may the be answer for all problems in the city, it is ONLY used to say hello in the country, you are expected to wave at all traffic and people on the local roads. country people serve to miss wet potholes in nonpaved roads. the potholes get bigger if you drive through them.

d. services in the country will be meager as compaired to city life. your trash will probably be your trash to get rid of. in other words, you will probably have to bag and transport your own trash to a dumpster or dumpsite. fire protection will be in the form of underfunded, volunteers who are working a full time job and offering their time to help the community. (they could use your support, by the way). police (Deputy Sheriffs) will be some distance away and at times (nights) there may only be one or two on duty to serve several thousand citizens. your water/sewage is yours. you will have a well and tank systems to maintain. electrical power and land line phone service will be lost during some ice and wind storms and will stay out for days or even a week or so at at time. it will be your responsibility to weather these times (be prepaired)

e. most places do not appreciate always on outside security lights. (it reminds country folks of city life and is therefore an insult)

f. realize that the little 25 acreas you purchased was probably part of a larger farm that had been in your neighbors family for over a hundred years. your neighbor farmed it since childhood, and worked a full time public/industrial job at a third of the pay you received at your job to keep it. he failed, it had to be busted up and sold. thats where you enter. there may be some misplaced hostility towards you. someone will have to overcome that hostility, you are the outsider. it would help for you to make the first move by humbling yourself.

g. endear yourself by helping the local farmer with a couple hours of manual labor (showes him that you are not too good to get dirty and proves other things about your nature). beware that is most areas of the south you will have to offer your services three times during a conversation for it to be accepted or even considered a valid offer.

h. realize that at your job, after 8 hours you leave it and go home. in the country (farm) the farmers whole day (24/7) since childhood is immersed in the job.

i. the country is not for the weak, just like the city is not for the weak. but for different reasons.

j. entertainment will not be of the type or intensity that you are use to.

with all that said i would not trade country life for any reason. to me, its the only way to live.

well its too late to continue and my blood sugar level may make me even more negative. so i'll stop for now. i have given you alot of negatives, thats what i'm good at. but you have probably seen the positives sterotyped on tv or movies or at least in your imagination. just something for you to give some consideration to. i'm sure not all of them will apply to where you are planning to move to. its not all blue green horse pastures with a 5 plank white fence around it. its darn hard work.

oh by the way, the ultimate olive branch is to be offered an invitation to attend the local church. this is a critical point, don't take it lightly.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

:) I just had a lot of rewiring done on my farm, had them run an extra 100 feet of 4-wire underground so I can turn my good old yard light on & off both in the house & on the pole. Never, ever liked those all night lights. I can sure identify with that point, small as it may seem. :) Probably cost me $120 extra, well worth it.

Have seen these northern soybean fields messed up by them too, if the light is right next to the field. Beans of the north stop growing when the day shortens - with an all night strong light, they never get ripe, just keep growing.

--->Paul

3. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Ya got that right...... Our city folk neighbor has installed one on his utility shed that lights up our entire property like a football stadium, shines in the house all night....... :stars: He's even attempted to shield it after I begged him to turn it down or reposition it.... :bash: the shield is useless..actually the neighbor is useless..... :monkey:
    I've planted about 40 american arborvitae along the property line but that will take a few years to block out the the midnight sun :bash:
    I've actually thought about setting post and 4x8 sheets of plywood to block it out....making a huge sign that says "City Idiot lights"
    Some :monkey: people are so inconsiderate

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with y'all on the night lights! The only neighbor we can see from our house has one and I'm always fighting the urge to shot the darn thing out! We put a flood light on the back of our house when we built it so we can turn it on if we need to (it's seldom turned on). I want it DARK at night...the only lights we need come from the stars and moon.

5. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

I'll admit to having a motion sensing light on the barn that I let turn on when it wants to show me something (coons, dogs, etc.). But if I want it to stay off I can do that easily. And it shines at no one's window

6. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

We had that in TX. Need to be sure to visit any potential homestead at night to check on such problems- we want STARS from all sides of the house unless we have our own light on!

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

while i do not like the dusk to dawn lights we have four of them around the farm stead . lets the donkeys see the coyotes before they get to the sheep barns and the lambing pens .since we installed them have not had the coyotes coming in so close. tend to come for dinnertime/lunch time! don't need it for burglars ,them i can hit just fine in the pitch black!

8. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Motion lights or even the dust to dawn lights are fine if you like or need them and as long as it doesn't spill out and intrude off your property onto your neighbors......
    I love watching the sky at night :rock: can't now...... :stars: It's hard to walk out on my back deck the idiot's stadium light blinds me on the steps. :viking:
    I suppose next he'll start asking the county for a traffic light in front of his house for the 5 cars a day that travel it :soap:
    Oh well......I guess It could be much worse and I could be stuck living in the city next to him :eek:
    :D

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

The light thing is one of the ONLY zoning type laws that I miss from our previous life in Florida -
    there, light "pollution" was regulated and you could force your neighbor to
    shield the lights down and onto thier own property.

Here, (NY) not so.
    Neighbor is allowed to pollute me with all the light they want...

10. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

When we lived in the suburb, hubby bought some gadget that hooked onto the outside light on the shed and if he needed something or heard something, we had a remote for it, otherwise, it stayed off.

11. CountryChris

CountryChris Member

I didn't see the first post as negatives, I read it for all of the positives and the reason I'm getting out of this God-forsaken-City!

I remember a long time ago hearing an older countryman tell some newly transplanted city folks NOT to mow the lawn! He didn't want them trying to turn his countryside in to no city park! He was very serious! :cowboy:

12. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

It is strange about the lights. We disconnected ours when we moved in but all the neighbors have them and they've lived here forever. There is hardly any crime around here so I don't know why they need a light that burns all night. I've never asked anybody for fear of offending.

13. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

{???untryChris]I didn't see the first post as negatives, I read it for all of the positives and the reason I'm getting out of this God-forsaken-City!

I remember a long time ago hearing an older countryman tell some newly transplanted city folks NOT to mow the lawn! He didn't want them trying to turn his countryside in to no city park! He was very serious! :cowboy:[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, those things are not the negatives about living in the country, they are the very reasons I like living out here.

14. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

We have an "all night light". It was here before we moved, it costs 6.00 a month and keeps the coyotes/foxes away.

I could take it or leave it, it's one of them yellow/orange ones.

15. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The electrical company installed mine when I bought the place. It was free, and I didn't know I had an option to have an on/off switch. I would LOVE to have it go out at night. I'm going to look into that.

THANKS!!

16. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Most electric companies won't let you put a switch on them.

17. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Our biggest problem is not a security light, but a doggone radio/cell tower. It has both the red lights, and the bright strobe lights for severe weather. Problem is, that most nights it is set with the strobes. Those darn things even light up the inside of our house like daylight.....and the tower is a good 5+ miles away. the strobes blink about every 30 seconds which make them very annoying. Had to put sheets over the blinds and curtains in the bedrooms just to keep the light out :stars:

18. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

the biggest complaint the city folk have round here other than the courdery road is the boys spreading liquid gold. takes only a few days spring and fall but they want none of the oder that goes with it . oh and they can let their dogs loose and the kids loose with fourwheelers,dirtbikes and snow mobiles but don't ever let your stock set foot on their land!(your land is their land too but thats different!)

19. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

We have a Pole light in back of the house & a dusk to dawn light
    on the front of the garage. They were here when we bought the place.
    The neighbors up the valley & the ones on top of the Hill, across on the
    other side have lights too.

We've been here two years & only found out a couple weeks ago that the
    lights are there because of break-ins in the area.
    Kids were breaking into barn, garages & even homes/houses, when they thought noone was there. We never have coyotesclose to the house.
    We see them out on the hill, at dusk & dawn tho.Darn possums & racoons
    don't mind lights tho. Shoot they'll come right up on the porch after catfood.

I think I'll leave mine alone. Less temptation to the kids to steal things, hunnh.

20. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

LOL - our neighbors (real city folks from California) mow so often that we joke about them mowing the dirt. Really, when they mow they generate great clouds of dust. They can't understand why they have trouble keeping grass established in some areas. Tried to explain that grass needs some leaf area to survive, the roots are only about as long as the blades, etc. They looked confused for a minute, then one of them said "we like the way we do it" and that was the end of that.

They also blame us because their dogs kill any little animal that gets onto their property. If we hadn't had those young guineas that strayed over there 5 yrs ago their dogs wouldn't be killers. LOL, found out that their dogs killed squirrels and cats the last place they lived. They just hate us having animals. They found a small grass snake on their front porch and blamed us for not cutting our grass down to the dirt. We don't mow that often because we have a huge area in front of the house and we use it for grazing. They actually took out the trees and grass on their side of the fence line and installed a GRAVEL parking area so "our snakes" wouldn't get over there! We have wild barn cats, dogs, pigs and guineas - there are NO snakes here.

I'll be so glad when we're able to move to our other farm and can get away from these yahoos.