Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our neighbor approached me today about keeping her 2 month old when she goes back to work(next week). It would be from about 5am to about 3pm, m-f. I homeschool my two, so I am here. We could really use the extra money, and so I am very tempted to do it.
I asked her what she had in mind and she told me to "come up with a price". I know they are not people of means.....I'm not sure what a proper rate is for this.....
I was thinking $25 a day or so.....it comes out to be only a few bucks an hour...but it adds up quick. Oh, she also wants me to see off her two older boys....it sounded like they would show up a little bit before the bus arrives.
Hows that sound...too high...too low?

Christina

·
Registered
655 Posts
One of the women I know that babysits charges 3.00/hr for the first child and an additional 1.00/hr per child if more than one. We live in a pretty rural area and that seems to be about the going rate for childcare, from what I understand.

Good luck!
Shawna

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
I would call around and get the going rate locally, then as she is your neighbor give her a price on the low end or a little better. Many places charge by the spot, it is so much a week whether the child is there or not.

I would also find out if you needed to go to the library or on a field trip, can baby come along. You may feel like you are always home but if you HAVE to be home every day, options for your children's schooling opportunities may diminish. I had this opportunity a couple of years ago. I passed as the mother did not want us to leave the house while we had her child (& I didn't blame her) which would mean no field trips, no music lessons and mean all of our errands had to be done on Saturday which doesn't always work.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I just checked into daycare for my 2yo......Most run on a weekly rate if it is steady like in your case....if it is an occasional drop in like 1 or 2 times per week then they have a daily price....

NOTE: in our area the standard of living is quite a bit lower than other places/states (my mortgage on a nice 2k sq ft home on 7 lots was <$40k)

licensed daycare facility:

Kids First
part day (<4hrs) $12/day
full day $15/day
full time $70/week

Kiddie Korral
part day (<4hrs) $15/day
Full time $77/week

one advertised on an Enid site
(sorry dont know the name cause it
was too far for me to consider)
$90/week

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
My son and his wife pay $500 a month for their 5 year old daughter. The day care is open 7am till 5:30 pm. You pay for your "spot" whether or not you use all the hours available each day. The lady always has a waiting list of people wanting her to babysit their children for them. She feeds breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack. I think it is more if your child is smaller. She has been doing day care for over 20 years and treats each child just like her own. To me, she is worth every penny!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts