the cost of hay

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kathy in MD, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Do Not come to Maryland to buy hay. I asked DH to buy one bale for the one lonely rabbit we have. He was going to the feed store to buy bird feed and cracked corn for the geese. I came home and the receipt was on the table......$6.50 for one bale of hay!!!! This is coming out of his golf money this weekend....

2. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

Hay is high all over the East Coast this year. I paid almost double what I usually do ($1 a bale out of the field) for mediocre hay. I did get some excellent hay early in June so I'm mixing it. It's crazy what hay is going for this year.

Stacy in NY

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

What a feed store would charge doesn't have much to do with what the farmer got paid. Hay isn't exactly cheap around here. I paid $3 a bale for so so alfalfa at the farm. I see it priced from $60 to $125 dollars a ton at local hay auctions. $3 a bale would put it close to $100 a ton.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Depends on how heavy the bales are, too. I'm paying over nine dollars a bale here for grass hay for my buck and wether, and just under nine dollars a bale for alfalfa for the does. This is from the feed store. But, they are heavy bales, three-string, over one hundred pounds each. I could get hay from the farmers for about half that price if I could get enough money together to pay for the whole year's supply at one time. But they would have to deliver and stack, because I can't lift those bales. It's all I can do to slide them out of the back of my van.

Kathleen in Oregon

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Ouch! Square bales of Tifton 44 sell for about $1.45 here.

6. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Hay sold today here anywhere from 1.50 to 2.00 depending on the content. (ditch grass or alfalfa)

7. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Send me some... it's $10 for a three-wire bale here :)

8. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hay here is $8.50 for a bale of alfalfa, two string, about 60 to 70 lbs.

Coastal Bermuda is $3.50 to $4.50 a bale, average weight is 50 lbs. Horse Quality.
    Fescue hay is $2.50 to $3.00 a bale.

Cow hay runs about $.50 less a bale. Round bales between 900 and 1000 lbs are $25.00 to $35.00 depending on whether it is cow or horse quality.

I bought 75 bales yesterday of really well fertilized coastal for $3.00 per bale from the same man I buy hay from all the time. I'll pay $2.50 in the field in about a week for the third cutting...will get about 150 bales which should last me quite a while. Lots of work though for someone with a bum shoulder!

Sidepasser

9. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I just paid $200 for 4 big round bales, delivered. we went to them 3 years ago because we are both getting older and just can't haul and stack square bales anymore...
    Horse quality coastal hay --- one bale will last 6-8 weeks. I wish we had a shed to put it under, but we tarp it and it works well.

10. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

The high cost of supplies has about done away with cheap hay. Fertilizer will be $300. a ton for triple 17 in 2005. Fuel $2.a gal. I payed $1200. for my old baler, a new replacement will cost $10000. I can't afford to buy hay so I am making my own. My cost on making it is $1.25 per square bale.Hay in the future will be at least $5. a bale.

11. ox

ox Well-Known Member

In the field it's 75-85$/ton here in SW Oregon for grass/clover. 85-120 in the barn. I did mangage to get 6 tons for 60$/ton second cutting grass hay.

12. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Hay is cheap here in this part of Missouri this year because we all had lots of it. It's $2 for brome/clover mix---square bales. The baler charged me 95 cents a bale to bale it. I feel real good about the situation.

13. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I only pay a $1 per bale for grass from my local farmer and he delivers the hay wagon here, we unload and he picks up the hay wagon the next day. I can also go collect some from another guy and he charges 1.25 a bale. I really appreciate my local farmer he's the best to us. I don't think I could afford animals at the price that some of you pay for hay, that has to be tough.

Carol K

14. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I get eastern WA first cut alfalfa for $140/ton + $35 delivery and stack. That's the lowest I can find and it is excellent stuff. Three tons gets my Highland cow, year old steer and spring calf through the winter.

15. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hay is cheap here in Central Missouri also. I paid $1.00 for 75 pound square bales, and $20.00 for huge 6X5 round bales in the field. This is good mixed grass with lots of clover in it. Lucky for me the field is only about 1/4 mile away.