Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before. But I was curious as to how much things cost elsewhere.

We are a family of 3, and starting this month I started writing down everything I bought at the grocery store, and I plan on keeping track of it for the whole month to see exactly what, where and how it gets spent.
I've done grocery shopping twice this month so far, and so far I've spent $270. That includes everything, from meats, dairy, detergents, napkins, food, etc.

Some of the break downs are here:

Gallon whole milk (Walmart) $3.67
Xtra Laundry det. 125 oz. $2.84
Maxwell House hazelnut coffee 12 oz. can $3.84
1 gallon of vegetable oil (Walmart brand) $4.98
bananas 52 cents a pound
1 pound bag Walmart rice 53 cents
hamburg 5 lbs. for $13.97
fresh squash $1.38 pound @ 3.5 pounds
loaf of white bread $1.88

I buy vegetables either fresh or frozen. Too much salt in cans. But I also get alot of other canned goods, like sauce, soups and that kind of stuff that will keep.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Wow... FK, that's insane! I shop at the mexican market in town and just adore it.

Ground beef: .99/lb; freshly ground, non-mushy stuff too.
Whole Chicken- .49/lb on sale
Pears, 5/1.00
Peaches, nectarines, plums; .49/lb
Tomatoes .69/lb
Squash .69/lb
Cantaloupe usually 1.20 or so each, bananas .40/lb... you get the idea.

Now, the "regular" stores in town, forget it. I do buy my dry goods there, as they are chaper, but for fresh foods the Mercado has 'em beat. DH loves peppers, and they have kinds he's never even seen before; so funny, he's always snagging someone to tell him what a specific one is and how to use it. By the time we all figure out what everyone else is trying to say, there's a whol group of us laughing and carrying on. And, they have a deli that sells really yummy soft tacos with real tortillas 5/1.00; a blessing when DH starts getting hungry and therefore impulsive.

I can feed us both very well for 125/month, and it would be much less if DH weren't one of those bottomless-pit type people.
Our garden kind of went to pieces on us due to various troubles, but it's coming back... but I LOVE this place.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have tomotoe plants, a squash, pepper and cucumber. But because we've had such a drought they are pretty much gone. Well, the squash and cuke I think are okay.
I wish we had prices like that.
Tomatoes here are like $1.69 a pound!! And cantaloupe, are like $2.99 each!! I love cantaloupe, but its so expensive!!

Our neighbor grew all her tomatoe plants along her deck and so they have done very well. She brought over a bagful of tomatoes for us last week!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was feeding the three of us for $40 a week, but Hubby insisted I buy some quick-cook snack food like hot dogs and chicken nuggets. Ugh. Our grocery bill has effectively doubled :Bawling: I am gonna have to beat it back down...

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ivy, how do you do it wil $40 a week?! I need figures..............

I don't know if its just cause the prices here are so expensive or what? When we lived in MA it was worse!!!

I don't buy alot of processed stuff. I do buy Ham. Helper since its like $1.42 a box. Whereas in MA it always sold for over $3 a box.
But like mac and cheese, I make from scratch. I started making my own rice a roni too.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
our prices are bit different than yours:

hamburger is 1.49/lb (we buy fresh ground at a local meat shop)

bananas are usually .49/lb

I buy whole wheat bread - $2.50 a loaf (gotta learn to bake my own bread one day!!)

I buy Costco brand coffee - it's been a while since I bought it but last time it was $4.99 for a 3lb can.

Milk is $3.29/gallon at the grocery store

it's been a while since I bought oil, rice or laundry detergent so I don't know what the going price is here. We also grow our own fresh veggies or get giveaways from family so I have no idea what fresh squash goes for.

BTW, what do eggs cost in your area? We buy ours from a local farmer for $2/dozen for the extra large. I'm trying to figure out if it will be more economical for us to get chickens next year instead of buying eggs...we eat a lot of eggs so we spend about $6 a week on eggs!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Biscuits: $7.00
Chili: $4.00
Beans and Tortillas: $1.00
Chicken Noodle Soup: Nearly Free with chicken carcass and leftover taters from fired chicken night
Spaghetti with Eggs (scrambled in there) $2.00
Fried Potatoes with Bacon and Biscuits: $2.00

All of this is with homemade everything. more later, baby calling...

Okay, editing to add this:
Everything I listed makes leftovers. Those are our lunches. IF we have no leftovers, we eat rice dishes or baked potatoes. Normally I save one chicken breast from the fryer and turn in into casserole at some point. Yes, there is only 6 dishes there. On Fridays we have a potluck with friends, and that keeps everyones costs down.

For veggies, we use frozen or home-canned. I also buy whatever is on sale and serve that accordingly. The suppers themselves don't cost $40, its the extras like cereal, snacks, etc, that cost the rest. It is also budgeted for things like oils, lard, butter, and sugars. I bake all our bread, and buy our flour, cornmeal, and yeast in bulk with tax returns every year. Next year, with a new freezer, we will be buying a side of beef with returns as well.

Yes, this is our weekly menu. This is almost all we eat, unless there is a huge sale I can mix things up with.

Hope this helps!

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I don't track food prices, but I do keep records of what we spend on animal feed, and prices have gone up between 10 and 20% since I started keeping records three years ago. 10% can be chalked up to ordinary inflation, but not 20%! I think we're seeing the outcome of more expensive gasoline, and that's only apt to get worse. :(

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
welll I have noticed that where I used to (last year and even earlier this year) could spend 40.00 a week it is now taking 55-65 a week and that is buying our meat off the mark down bin...and freezing it immediately...hoping my fall garden produces enough to freeze some stuff I didnt get as much frozen out of the summer garden as I wanted..

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coalroadcabin, eggs are about $1.89 for 18 count. Which isn't too bad. We can't have poultry in our subdivision. Which is weird. We can have a cow or a horse on our 1/2 acre but no poultry, pigs or goats. :shrug:
We found a local farmstand and we are starting to go there for fresh stuff, like corn, tomatoe's , videla onions as its cheaper, fresher and it at least helps out a neighbor!

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I just went and did some grocery shopping today. I went two weeks ago so I didn't have that much to get this week. I can get milk for $2.79 at CVS. I buy bread (I also make homemade) for $.33 a loaf for white and $.45 a loaf for wheat and hamburger buns and hot dog buns for $.45 a bag at Wabash Valley Wholesale in Vincennes. I can't find bread cheaper than that around here. Eggs are usually on sale every two weeks for $.79 a dozen so I buy 3-4 dozen. Hamburger is usually on sale for $1.39-$1.69. I can sometimes buy chicken on sale. I just bought 6 packages of cut up chicken breasts the other day for $.99 a pound. I make hamburger helper from scratch, garlic bread for spaghetti from scratch and almost everything else from scratch. I just discovered Wal-Mart's big bottle of cooking oil for $4.98 so that is what I have been buying. I buy the 25 lb. bags of white flour at Wal-Mart for a little over $5.00. I buy the 25 lb. bags of bread flour at Sams for the same. We don't have anywhere that I know of around here to buy fresh meat.
I did have a budget of $50.00 a week for 5 of us but when dhs overtime got cut so did that. We are just now being able to get it back up.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The price of dog food is outrageous,I was figureing a few days ago its costing almost 70.00 a month for 2 big dogs.Grocery prices are getting higher every week.Thankful for a bountiful garden this year! Lots of beans,tomatoes,and potatoes.

L

·
0 Posts
jen74145 said:
Now, the "regular" stores in town, forget it. I do buy my dry goods there, as they are chaper, but for fresh foods the Mercado has 'em beat.
Our Mercado shut down a few months ago :Bawling: I sure miss it. They had the best prices and sales, and their produce was better quality than anywhere else in town.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Back in the spring we were shopping at a Shop Rite store, which is less expensive than Acme or SuperFresh, the other choices around here, but even at SR our bill was getting higher and higher each week, for pretty much the same stuff every week. It was getting over $100 every time! (This included food for us, paper goods, and dog & cat food). Finally, we switched to going to Sav-a-Lot every week instead. It meant a bit of change since they don't have as many items and varieties available as ShopRite, but I just had to adjust what we eat. The money saved has been worth it - my weekly bill now is between $50-75 a week. This doesn't include the animal food, which we now buy at Walmart. We have the old type of Walmart without groceries. Overall, it has really helped us. Thank goodness for Sav-a-Lot !!

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
On actual food I spend about $50 a week. Milk adds another $30 a week, and chicken feed adds about $40 a month. that's about $90 a week for 8 of us. I need to get that down a little if possible. Everything is mostly from scratch. I do buy mac and cheese as a couple of my kids love it and ramen noodles. I'm making our own bread (they inhale it when I get it made), we have plenty of eggs and will have meat as soon as its cool enough to butcher them. we get plenty of deer meat every year and when I need to I buy ground turkey for burger. At 79 cents a lb that's reasonable to me. That includes any paper products we need too. I have big eaters too. I laughingly say its not about the presentation around here.....its about the quantity!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just got back from the grocery store:

5.79 for Mayfield milk
1.68/lb for fresh squash
1.78/lb for b/s chicken breasts
1.77 for a lb of frozen brocolli
1.07 walmart white bread
1.93/lb for ground beef
......AND 1.64 for a big ol' Hershey Symphony Tofee and Almond Bar!!!!!!!

Honestly I did buy alot of convenience stuff (that I won't mention), since we are working on a big project this week...so I spent about $120 on groceries/dish and laundry detergent/animal food/toiletries. The milk and produce are what I see really going up though!

Rachael

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
matt633 said:
..so I spent about $120 on groceries/dish and laundry detergent/animal food/toiletries. The milk and produce are what I see really going up though!

Rachael

Do you find that cleaning supplies & toiletries come out to about a third of your grocery bill? I do, & it really frustrates me to spend so much money just to keep clean!!

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate spending alot on trash bags and tiolet paper. Since they end up in either the trash barrel or the down the tiolet. I know some folks perfer a soft cushiony wipe but hey if saving a few pennies mean toughing it out a little.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
FiddleKat said:
coalroadcabin, eggs are about $1.89 for 18 count. Which isn't too bad. We can't have poultry in our subdivision. Which is weird. We can have a cow or a horse on our 1/2 acre but no poultry, pigs or goats. :shrug:
We found a local farmstand and we are starting to go there for fresh stuff, like corn, tomatoe's , videla onions as its cheaper, fresher and it at least helps out a neighbor!

We can't have poultry where we live now (1/4 acre lot in a subdivision :grump: ) but as soon as we finish building our cabin, we'll be moving to 10 acres that is zoned General Agriculture. So, I'm thinking that for the $300 + a year we spend on eggs, I can feed a pretty good flock of chickens. Of course, if feed prices are rising like everyone says they are, maybe it won't be as cost effective as I think.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts