Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have all been fairly rough for our area.
All the locals and "Old Timers" are sure we are going to get hammered with quite a bit of snow, and cold. The Farmers Almanac is in agreement with all of them, but, someone apparently forgot to tell this little guy.
He is very busy attaching him/her self, to one of the sprigs og Forget-Me-Nots i have growing in a front planter.
First one I've seen all year.
So, who do ya'll usually agree with, the Farmers Almanac, and the old timers, or the Woolie Caterpillars?:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I found my first woolie worm yesterday. And it was almost entirely black with a slightly brown set of roots at the base of the middle. Like some folk's hairstyles.... :rock:

My dogs shed constantly, so that's not much of a sign. But the old pony (who probably has Cushings) is getting the beginnings of his winter coat length now. The skies are often that dark slate blue so typical of October. The cicadas sing "August," but the crickets sing "Autumn." Mostly the weather seems confused.

This weekend is Labor Day weekend. Many people consider that the last weekend of summer. I don't. The local Fair is traditionally the week after Labor Day. We go all five days, rain or shine, and enjoy the exhibits and shows. It's summer there. Summer ends when we leave the fairground gates for the last time.

So, here, Fall begins in nine days, regardless of the temperature outside.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I think it's going to be an early Winter here. Yeah, I know. It's Winter and gets cold and snows. We all know, especially up here in the far north.

But I still love talking about it. It's a cultural thing up here. :) Love looking at pictures of the woolies, too!

I think it's going to be an early Winter here. My garden is all done. Pretty much everything has quit. Driving to work today I saw a bunch of maples that are turning color.

We'll soon be in leaf-peeping season! Nothing quite like a trip up the north shore in the Autumn. It's some of the best leaf-peeping ever!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last year i heard that if ant hills are tall that means more snow. If small and close to the ground then no snow. I did see some tall (seemed like it was) ant hills last year and had about 20 inches of snow at 1 time

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
You know, it didn't even dawn on me until just now that I haven't seen a single yellow jacket in a couple of weeks...and they've been bad this year!

My leaves are also turning and falling, there are so many on the ground already that I have to wade through them to get to the truck and then turn on the wipers to knock them off the hood and windshield. My grass has practically quit growing, even though it's been around 100 degrees for the past week or more, first real hot spell we've had all summer.

I think it's probably going to be a bad one too, which in Oklahoma means lots of ice, ugh. If it's going to be bad anyway, I wish it would just get cold enough to have snow and not ice!

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Haven't read the Farmer's Almanac in years so don't know bout that....
Do know we already have leaves on the trees changing, birds beginning to flock together for their trip to ???, deer in their winter colors, ponds nearly full of water, and squirrels tails seem bushier then normal.
As to the Woolie Bears, ahhh, got them from mostly brown to mostly black; guess some of them got the wrong message as to what coat to wear so we'd be able to know of the coming winter.
Oh, and the dog's coat is already thick despite the shedding, and has more than a normal winter's growth on her belly - if'n that means anything?

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
I am hoping for cold, last winter was so warm the garden pests stayed active all fal, winter, and spring.
Cicadas in afternoon, but crickets in evening. Last night we could turn off the a/c and open the house. Autumn also brings reduced humidity, and distance vision sharpens. Been noticing the buildingsacross the lake are more crisp and clear...
According to farmers almanac SE winter will be wet, hoping not, I need some sunshine and 70-85 temps.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Here , we have lots of signs of a cold winter ahead. The fruit and nut trees are LOADED! My father in law always had "signs" for each season and they seem to hold true. So I will be expecting a rough winter but hoping it isn't! Yes, I am I in central NC so y'all can laugh at me now!!! :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Here , we have lots of signs of a cold winter ahead. The fruit and nut trees are LOADED! My father in law always had "signs" for each season and they seem to hold true. So I will be expecting a rough winter but hoping it isn't! Yes, I am I in central NC so y'all can laugh at me now!!! :)
See I use to use the trees production as predictors too. Then last year we had the worst winter in memory and also the worst mast crop in memory. You couldn't find an acorn or Hickory nut on a tree. This year they are pretty loaded. But I still think we are in for a good one.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Since I'm a MT native I'm afraid KY winters (no matter how bad they are as far as KY natives are concerned) do not cause me much concern. Yes, I'm older and cold weather aches and pains are a bit more prevalent but then I seem to have more of them regardless of the weather anyway.

I think I will be glad we've decided to use the upper barn as a 'free feed' area this winter as the predictions do seem to be for it to be wetter and here that is more often in the form of cold rain than snow and frozen ground. That will cut down a lot on the trips we have had to make back and forth from the barn, through the upper pastures to the feeding areas in the lower pastures and definitely cut down on the pasture damage from crossing wet ground with the tractor.

I actually hope it does get colder and stay colder longer this winter than it did last winter, though ... it didn't even get a good kill on the bugs last winter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts