Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I was all snug in my house feeling a bit pouty because it is minus 20 and windy outside and I have to make sure the fire in the power room burns all night and feed the generator so the cars can stay plugged in etc. Then I turned on the computer in my nice comfortable computer room and saw the headlines about the northeast being covered in ice and without power....now I wish I could teleport them here to my stead which is snug as a bug. Guess the good Lord put me in my place again...sis

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
Geeze, I'm from the North East... can I come crash with ya for a day or two... uh... the rest of the winter perhaps? :help:

BTW, can you explain "fire in the power room" ? Is this some sort of outdoor furnace or something similar? Also, is your home powered soley by generator year around?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Was reading how some people in the New England area needed to go to shelters because their electric went down during the storm there. You would think that they would have some sort of back up plan for staying in their homes. Guess some people think it will never happen to them. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
We were only out here for a day and a half or so. Worst part of it was listening to DW whine about having the sawdust toilet in the bathroom and having to use it. Me, I wouldn't mind if we only had power for a couple days a week year long.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
Here I was all snug in my house feeling a bit pouty because it is minus 20 and windy outside and I have to make sure the fire in the power room burns all night and feed the generator so the cars can stay plugged in etc. Then I turned on the computer in my nice comfortable computer room and saw the headlines about the northeast being covered in ice and without power....now I wish I could teleport them here to my stead which is snug as a bug. Guess the good Lord put me in my place again...sis
Sisterpine,

I gotta say your compassion is nice but most folks in the North East are wimpy, wimpy, wimpy.

20 below would cripple the cities of the northeast. Heck the lows for most of the cities are 25F for the average. ;)

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Was reading how some people in the New England area needed to go to shelters because their electric went down during the storm there. You would think that they would have some sort of back up plan for staying in their homes. Guess some people think it will never happen to them. :confused:
Unfortunately, they're back up plans are the same as most Americans... if something goes wrong, the govt. is there to help them.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
The cold isn't so bad, as long as I'm not in it.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I have never been able to figure this out either.

I live in North Florida, and even though we have mild winters compared to other parts of the country, it gets cold enough that I would never depend strictly on electric for heat.

Yet, many live in areas where the cold can literally be life-threatening, and only have electric-dependent heat. Just makes no sense to me.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
Gimme a break. Just because some have to go to shelters doesn't mean that all of the Northeastern people are without backup.
I talked with a friend in MASS. They have been without since Thursday and will probably not have electric until next Thurs or Fri. They have two woodstoves as backup, and generators. They also have to keep 4 greenhouses above freezing...
The woman's mom (at least in her 70's) who lives in VT. is staying in her own home with a wood fire going...she had it ready to start when there were predictions of ice.
Everyone isn't unprepared.
And the ones that are usually have neighbors who help out. My friends took a spare generator over to an elderly couples house today. The local fire company went around door to door to make sure everyone was okay.
I hope those who are smug about their own preps would help their neighbors in a similar situation.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
The cold isn't so bad, as long as I'm not in it.
That's how I feel! DH took a trip to Chicago last week and was telling me about keeping warm with all these layers of clothes. I'm of the mind if a tee shirt and a jacket aren't enough layers to keep me warm, then it's WAY too cold for me!

Wimpy wimpy wimpy, I know... but then when it's 110+ degrees here I'm in my element. Just give me a fan and I'm happy.

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
Unfortunately, they're back up plans are the same as most Americans... if something goes wrong, the govt. is there to help them.
Oh for goodness sake.

A LOT of people in the north east live in cities and urbanized areas. You cant have a wood stove in every house in the North east. A LOT of people rent here. A lot of people cant afford a generator.

A lot of people DO have generators and wood stoves. Im real sick of your generalizing. Have you ever lived in New England?

Next time a hurricane hits, be sure to ridicule the people that have to leave their homes and go to shelters, because how dare they not have back up plans to stay in their homes.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Below 70 and I'm cold. Below 20 and I'm rolled up in a blanket indoors. I really do need to move closer to the southern equator.

As for the "wimpy" ones that had to go to the shelters, I read that it was mostly people on oxygen tanks that had to get a reliable source of electricity to keep breathing. I guess that would apply to anyone using home medical equipment that's electric.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Wimps Ha! i know of an ole yank in New Yawk that lives on a mountain that is surviving just fine, him and his wife. has a lot of timber down on his place. figures the clean up will provide him with firewood til at least 2011. the kicker is he is only 75 years young...:clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts