The cat says he's hot

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by woodsrunner, Jun 11, 2005.

1. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

It's been in the upper 80's lower 90's and very humid here all week. Kind of unusual for western NY seeing it's only early june.

I just went out to the kitchen for a drink and the cat was laying in the corner. As a treat I pulled a frozen shrimp out of the freezer for him. When I took it over to the sink to thaw it under running water he came over to watch. So far nothing unusual. He starts meowing at me so I hold my hand up with the shrimp to show him it's still frozen. He just rubs against my wet hand meowing. So, I put down the shrimp and he ignores it, when I start wetting my hand and petting him with it he gets all happy. He's laying at my feet right now soaked and purring, nibbling his shrimp.

This animal hates water, so it must be really hot for him to want to get wet.

I've never known a cat to want to get wet, have you?

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

:)

Yes! It was a bit warm today and yesterday and the day before. Short Spring

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Our cat always has to be in the middle of everything we do, but when washing the car, a quick sprinkle towards him will send him running. Not today, though! DH sprayed him with the hose and he actually just stood there! :haha:

4. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I agree with the cat it is too hot, for man or beast.

Imagine what this heat and humidy is like for those wearing fur hides. Bleech!

DH and I hate the heat, especially this early. Where did Spring go?

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

The cats, the dogs, the people around here -- we're all slowing down because of this heat!

Trying to put a positive spin on it:
    Remember last year? How cold and wet it was? How tomatoes just did NOTHING all growing season? (Of course, a little water here would be a very good thing...)

So, the tomatoes are taking off, and the peppers too. I'm thinking, with sufficient mulch, we should be doing alright, and I'll actually have enough bounty to put by. :)

Pony!

6. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

When our cat is hot, she lays in the bathroom sink. Lucky here - woke up to a beautiful 58 degrees F. and supposed to only get to 75 - but more heavy rain and severe storms (Nebraska)

7. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

A friend had a Siamese cat that loved the above-ground swimming pool. Cat learned to climb the ladder to get in/out of the pool.

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My cat goes right into the pond after ducks and frogs.....but then again so do my goats.....Its hot here in Maine too....and I bet that some place in this state has had rain for 30 days straight....Sunny until afternoon boomers.

9. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

That is the sweetest story! I've never thought about that for the cats, I'll bet they'd love it. I gave Big Fat Benjamin (the giant cat) a hair cut the other day, not down to the skin, but just took down to about an inch of hair still left on him. I had the hose later and he came over to investigate. I started petting him in his newly cut hair and just slightly dribbled water on him to rinse off the excess cut hair. He just stood there and seemed to enjoy it. So I increased the water a little more and he really loved it. My other cat Mazie is in love with the water hose and water, but she's just weird.

10. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I have a small, decorative pond that has reverted to a wild state, and some of the cats drink out of it, and they sit on the little spillway between the upper and lower pond. They sort of crouch down, so their feet are wet and maybe their bellies. It's awfully hot here too, and we have about four more months left of it before temps start to cool.