Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Men have long dominated the farming world. So, not surprisingly, farm equipment – things like tractors, tillers, or hand tools – are designed to be used by male farmers. Female-friendly tools are hard to come by. And with more women farming every year, that presents a safety issue.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The work of farming dictates the requirements of the tool. If the tool holder isn't up to the job, don't blame the tool or the nature of the work.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Imagine for a moment, a guy working on a difficult, laborious job and the only tool available to complete the task was specifically designed for a smaller, lighter, weaker female. I already tear enough stuff up.
Now for the fainting goats who read that and are 21st century offended, refer to post #2.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Its true, it can be difficult for a woman to hook-up a PTO driven piece of equipment....but we figure out how to do it. I know that I cuss like a sailor when I have to hook up one of our bush hogs. Who designed a PTO where you have to pull the collar back while shoving the same piece forward? A man designed it. And that is the problem. If women designed farm equipment, you'd simply back up to it, flip a switch, and it would hook itself up. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hubs used to give me grief when he would see how I adapted to do things that needed upper body strength. My response was always, did it get done and done right? Then what's the problem?

I had no issue operating the tractor but switching out equipment? Luckily I never had to do it. Fueling was a challenge until I incorporated a ladder into the equation.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
. Who designed a PTO where you have to pull the collar back while shoving the same piece forward? A man designed it. And that is the problem. If women designed farm equipment, you'd simply back up to it, flip a switch, and it would hook itself up. LOL! :ROFLMAO:
The PTO locking ring knows no gender and shows no favortism. It is a demon.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,787 Posts
There are women and men where that will be at a disadvantage with equipment. Not everyone is the same height or has the same strength no matter what sex you are.

·
Registered
29,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are women and men where that will be at a disadvantage with equipment. Not everyone is the same height or has the same strength no matter what sex you are.
I know many men that buy multiple tractors to lessen the challenge of changing equipment, connecting and disconnecting.

I have cussed the PTO connection many times, and fell back in exhaustion fighting that thing. I felt considerable satisfaction when I cut the time it takes me to connect a piece of PTO equipment. The rotary mower is the worst.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
351 Posts
Even I have trouble hooking up pto shafts..
Even though I'm still the handsome, robust, debonair lumber jack and log dancer I was 40 some years ago... eh... ;)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Several times I've used rather vulgar language helping a local farmer doing chores. I think he enjoyed the laugh I provided. He'd walk over and do the chore right away. He only had one hand. Put me in my place.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
One of the first things I did when I brought my new tractor home was to remove the steel plate/shroud around the pto shaft, in order to somewhat better getting my hands in there to line the shaft up and avoid smacking my wrists.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Several times I've used rather vulgar language helping a local farmer doing chores.

+++
What is said in the barn yard,,, Stays in the barn yard....
Language like this never helps fix the situation that caused it, but it does make you feel a bit better to get it out of your system.. My Sweetie is a Coast Guard sailors daughter and grew up on the west coast light houses.. She has come up with some thing I never heard before..

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Seems many of the problems listed with using tractors and implements can be made easier. Some cost more money, such as using a quick hitch on the 3 point. No need to fight lining up the pins and whatnot. Some such as the PTO locking ring can be made easier by pulling back the locking ring, drilling a hole about 1/8 inch diameter into the shaft, at the edge of the ring, then inserting a cotter key or nail about a 1/4 inch into the hole. It’s then easy to have the ring held back and be able to concentrate on lining the pto shaft up and once its slid on, pull out the cotter key. (Yes I know some are going to say modifying the PTO ring by drilling a 1/8 inch hole in the shaft might somehow affect some type of safety issue.) Many of the things mentioned in the article are already available, but hard to find. I personally learned quite a bit on some of the tractor forums about how to make things easier and SAFER. Kind of a bad deal that in todays times with how easy it is to shop and learn from the internet that we still have to fight some of the issues we do.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Its true, it can be difficult for a woman to hook-up a PTO driven piece of equipment....but we figure out how to do it. I know that I cuss like a sailor when I have to hook up one of our bush hogs. Who designed a PTO where you have to pull the collar back while shoving the same piece forward? A man designed it. And that is the problem. If women designed farm equipment, you'd simply back up to it, flip a switch, and it would hook itself up. LOL! :ROFLMAO:
I hate those to the point where I changed out all the PTO shafts except one with old school ones!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had an old post hole digger that had the old style push pin type lock.. It was so dirty and rusty I had to tear it down and do a major cleaning.. Worked OK after..

I have had 3 John Deere implements that required pto lock cleaning.. One was a 6 spline, the others mid mount 21 spline.. All required taken apart and each and every surface the paint scraped off.. It looked like the ends had been dipped in a thick sticky black paint of some kind.. Once clean and an occasional spray of silicone lube, they all worked as good as the pull back the ring connections go..

Do you know how hard it is to scrape heavy paint off from 10mm steel balls ??

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Several times I've used rather vulgar language helping a local farmer doing chores.

+++
What is said in the barn yard,,, Stays in the barn yard....
Language like this never helps fix the situation that caused it, but it does make you feel a bit better to get it out of your system.. My Sweetie is a Coast Guard sailors daughter and grew up on the west coast light houses.. She has come up with some thing I never heard before..
Yes, bad language is a required must in this situation and part of the deal made with the devil. You speak to the specific parts like they were the most vile creature on earth; worse than an exwife, boss, revenuer, overseas customer service, etc.
It can be quite an art form really. I have heard it sound like a personal conversation; a soliloquy of insults and true hatespeech designed to turn the nut, reach the screw, line up the pins and lessen the pain on a broken knuckle.
You are Gandalf falling down the seemingly bottomless pit in a fight to the death with Balrog of Morgoth.
Once victory is attained, you are no longer have green skin or Hulk hands. Your color returns and you have a sense of satisfaction, the enemy has been defeated.
Then you get up, stiff and sore, gather your wrenches, and hammer (there is always a hammer) and apologize to the neighbor kids you never saw leaning over the fence for the past 20 minutes.
Later that evening, it is whiskey and ibuprofen and a tale that challenges any fish story to everyone that will listen, and a few that would rather not, again.

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
Just goes to show Women are more creative....

Reactions: emdeengee
1 - 20 of 37 Posts