The boy and the bola

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by townmouse, May 31, 2005.

1. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

(x-post from my blog)

Nate disappeared into his room for about an hour. He came out long enough to go into my craft closet and choose some felt and twine. I said, "what are you doing?" He said, "Oh, things....I'll tell you if it works."

I forgot about him :cool: and we went out to work on the garden. A little bit later I looked up and there he was in the yard, hips swinging and something being twirled around in his hand. Suddenly he let it fly, and a very intricate web of twine opened up and caught the bar stool he was aiming for.

He'd made a bola! http://www.flight-toys.com/bolas.htm All by himself, learning from a picture in his American Boys Handy book. His bola has 7 rocks, tied into felt pockets.

I have to say, it is beautiful. Very precisely measured and symmetrical. He has since made a few more. Of course he is a young ornithologist, and he has taken it into his head that he'll probably have to kill a bird or two for study (ala Teddy Roosevelt). Daddy nixed the crossbow, so Nate studied until he found a safer yet still effective way to catch a bird.

He is now working on a trap for rabbits or squirrels.

I had to tell him that I don't think small boys are allowed to trap and hunt in the suburbs. He was so disappointed! I reminded him that Daddy and I are saving for a farm, and he can be more independent out in the country.

He said, "You know I'm not cruel, mama. I wouldn't torture an animal or bird. And I wouldn't catch or kill them for no reason, just to learn skills like hunting and trapping, field dressing and taxidermy, and the anatomy of animals. Also I could catch pheasants or wild turkeys for food, and trap rabbits for skins and meat." He reminded me that he hadn't actually tried to catch anything yet, because he hasn't studied field dressing or tanning or anything, and he doesn't want to just be wasteful.

Nate is 8 years old.

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

You must be proud. Do not stifle him in the least and he will continue to grow wise.

3. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

What a wonderful son! You can be proud of yourself for raisin him right!

4. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

That there is a right smart young un. Good lad!

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If you ever get tired of that boy you just send him right on over this way. I'd adopt him in a split second. We'd get along just fine.

Congrats on raising such a fine boy and not stifling his "boy-ness".

I'd let him try the crossbow though;)

6. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

:) we think he's alright, too! :)

Mike says the crossbow has to wait for winter, when he's not working overtime so much. Nate wants to build one, and he needs Daddy's help!

And of course, Mike has to have time to build 4, because that's how many little adventurers live here.

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Woud a virtual bola be called an

wait for it....

a little bit more.....

Drum roll please....

E-bola?

Sorry, waiting around for an appointment and bored to tears, would rather be outside working...

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

You must be a great mama! You don't by chance have any older versions to put on lay away for one of my girls to marry someday?

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

My cousins are farmboys! I remember when they visited in a suburb how they had to be told NO you can't shoot the birds off the neighbor's feeder!