Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
If that's how Musk wants to spend his money and spread his influence, <shrug>

I have seen posts on other boards where people are hailing Musk as some sort of savior, saying he's a loyal patriotic American, but really, I've never seen anything to support that.

What I have read about him is that he likes the idea of cyborgs, thinks almost anything can be resolved with the use of computer devices, and he really doesn't seem to be terribly driven by morals or ethics.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
28,631 Posts
I respect what Musk has achieved in business. I just don't believe that this endeavor will pan out the way he first envisioned. I think he knows that as well. He was forced to follow through by court cases.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I think he's on the autism scale.

Reactions: tothemax

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If that's how Musk wants to spend his money and spread his influence, <shrug>

I have seen posts on other boards where people are hailing Musk as some sort of savior, saying he's a loyal patriotic American, but really, I've never seen anything to support that.

What I have read about him is that he likes the idea of cyborgs, thinks almost anything can be resolved with the use of computer devices, and he really doesn't seem to be terribly driven by morals or ethics.
Spot on. I dont know enough about Musk but he does own a company called "Neuro-link" that is developing chips to implant in people's brains so we can be "connected" to the internet... quite literally.

I find it hard to believe that somebody who wants to put chips in people's brains is also a champion of individual liberty, free speech, and personal autonomy. Hope Im wrong.

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
I find it hard to believe that somebody who wants to put chips in people's brains is also a champion of individual liberty, free speech, and personal autonomy. Hope Im wrong.
Haven't seen or heard of him saying that it wouldn't be voluntary. Have you?

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
The guy is a genuine maniac surrounded by boot-lickers. The world should be afraid of him.

I get that he’s a little kooky, but where do you get maniac? What has he done or said that makes him a maniac?

If it’s the brain chip thing, I don’t get that as maniacal. I don’t want one, and I see it as the things of horror movies, but making that technology, and forcing people to use it are two completely different things. He’s a techie guy, and there are lots of indications that bioelectronics are “the way of the future”. For him to be playing in that space is just good business.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Haven't seen or heard of him saying that it wouldn't be voluntary. Have you?
I remember the same arguments being made 25 years ago around cellphones. People think "If I dont want one I just wont get one"...well today you have about 90% of adults in America who carry cellphones all the time. Alot of them say they dont like the loss of privacy, they dont like the fact that the phones spy on them and collect data but they feel like they have to have it in order to function in today's society.

You can force a person in a number of ways, not all of them direct. There's no law that says I have to have a bank account, yet my town recently stopped taking property tax payments in cash. Only check. Theres no law explicitly requiring me to do business with a bank in order to own property, but thats exactly the reality. If you dont do business with a bank the state will take your property...thats the way it works out. I can have a million dollars in cash, doesnt matter. The turnpike in my state no longer accepts cash, you must have an app or speedpass. Otherwise, they will mail you a bill with a penalty attached. Am I forced to have a cellphone or speedpass? Not directly [ I dont have either ] but I pay a penalty for it.

A person who is favor of, and promoting the micro-chipping of people's brains, is promoting a world with less privacy, less freedom and more centralized control. If he isnt, he's extremely short-sighted.

·
Registered
22,059 Posts
I think he is primarily a libertarian. He likes free speech and that is a big plus after all this time of one party trying to shut up anyone who opposes their views. His personal life appears to be a mess and I know little about him other than that.

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
I remember the same arguments being made 25 years ago around cellphones. People think "If I dont want one I just wont get one"...well today you have about 90% of adults in America who carry cellphones all the time. Alot of them say they dont like the loss of privacy, they dont like the fact that the phones spy on them and collect data but they feel like they have to have it in order to function in today's society.

You can force a person in a number of ways, not all of them direct. There's no law that says I have to have a bank account, yet my town recently stopped taking property tax payments in cash. Only check. Theres no law explicitly requiring me to do business with a bank in order to own property, but thats exactly the reality. If you dont do business with a bank the state will take your property...thats the way it works out. I can have a million dollars in cash, doesnt matter. The turnpike in my state no longer accepts cash, you must have an app or speedpass. Otherwise, they will mail you a bill with a penalty attached. Am I forced to have a cellphone or speedpass? Not directly [ I dont have either ] but I pay a penalty for it.

A person who is favor of, and promoting the micro-chipping of people's brains, is promoting a world with less privacy, less freedom and more centralized control. If he isnt, he's extremely short-sighted.
Draw all the comparisons you want. He's still not proposing that people be forced to put a chip in their brain.

yet my town recently stopped taking property tax payments in cash. Only check.
Now that's odd considering most places don't take personal checks anymore. Hence, few people carry a check book these days. Can't remember the last time I wrote a check. But still, there are numerous other methods of payment that don't require you to have a bank account.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts