The Billy Goat Gruff

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ditzyblond, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Ditzyblond

Ditzyblond Active Member

A friend of mine gave me a nanny and a billy goat to watch for him while he goes away for oh 6 months or so. Well, the doe is a sweetheart but that billy, I am not too sure about him. He can be sweetand really likes to be scratched behind his ears but...

He rears up at me sometimes and he has huge horns. I am not certain I would like to get hit with them at all. He hasnt actually butted me but I think he will eventaully. I have no clue why he does this since I sit there and pet him and he seems to really like the attention but then he gets all ****y. I cant get rid of him and I know nothing of goats so well, what should I do to stop him? Could it be just breeding season making him a bit more agressive than normal? I feel like taking my riding crop in there and wacking him when he does his rearing bit. Would that make a goat meaner though? I am not sure how they think so I am not certain on how to discipline him. He does have his own pen and I just stay out of horn's reach for now but what if I have to do something with him? Since he really isnt mine, I cant just get rid of him.

Any advice is appreciated. I dont feel like getting beaten up by a goat.

Traci

2. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Hi Traci;

Never hit a goat. It won't work to solve your problem.
    I had the same problem with our goat. I'll tell you why mine is the best goat (in my opinion) in the world now. First, she was rearing to show me she was boss and then we found out also that her last owner allowed her to do that while playing. Since I have young children that was unacceptable.
    I took a squirt gun and soaked her as I said a loud and firm "NO!"
    Once used the hose too. They hate water by the way! LOL!
    It took about 3 or 4 times and that was it. She now knows who is boss.
    My friend told me this little secret and then she said if that doesn't work..steep some of their poops in water and use that to spray the goat with..they hate that!

It worked and it didn't even take a week!

HTH!

BlessedMom

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yeah , hes trying to "play" most likely, if hes an only goat, hes lonely, so when you come by , its an opportunity to play, do the quirt gun thing
    it should work , just like Blessed said

never tried the poop tea to the face though , i imagine it would work too....

4. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Male goats (I call them bucks) are notoriously bad about becoming mean, especially if they are handled incorrectly. I'm not saying you have handled him totally incorrectly but there is a few things I'd like to advise you of. First of all, I would never touch them on the head (especially horns) if you can help it. Some folks try to lead them by their horns and this is NOT a good idea.

If you already have a problem, about the only thing you can do is 1. leave him alone and don't handle him any more and hope he doesn't get any worse, or 2. throw him on the ground (NOT BY HIS HORNS - simply pull his legs out from under him) and sit on him and smack him in the face and scold him. Be careful not to sit on him with all your weight and hurt him... you just want to mainly make him feel as if he's being forced to submit to you and that makes you "the boss". This only works sometimes and a lot of it depends upon the individual temerament of the animal and the age of the animal.

You ought to call his owner and talk to him about this problem if these solutions don't work. I have found that spraying a buck on the face does no good at a certain age because they will urinate on their face anyway.

5. Ditzyblond

Ditzyblond Active Member

Thanks for your advice everyone. I will try the water bit and see how that goes. I am not sure I am physically able to actually throw him on the ground safely so I wont be trying that. He is pretty big as far as all the goats I have ever seen and strong as heck too. I might be the one on the ground with him sitting on me and that will be no fun at all! Yeah, I am a weakling...

His owner does play with him that way, pushing on his head and goat wrestling stuff. From all that I have been reading, that is not a very good thing to do with any goat. At least not for me. I am probably half his owners size. We will see how he likes water spray I guess. Maybe I should spray his owner too for the inconvenience. The goat isnt running around loose so it isnt too big a deal I dont think. Til he gets out....

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

one, the owner has really fouled up.. that goat is now dangerous.

on to your problem. do you have a hot shot (cattle prod) if not, find one, borrow one, buy one...something. take it in the pen. you WILL HAVE to deal with this animal at some point, while you have him for this 6 months. you didn't mention age or maturity, but i'm guessing since you said big goat and huge horns he's mature. when he rears up, stick him w/the hot shot. some might consider this mean or inhumane, but it is a mild electric shock and will only get his attention and make him think he might not want to rear up to you anymore. you may have to get him with it several times, get him in a major muscle, but after 3 or 4 times, you shouldn't have any more trouble out of this goat. then stick the owner w/the hot shot for being such a careless person and teaching that goat some BAD MANNERS