The best tasting penelope ever...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jun 16, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, so what's penelope? She was our hog, we just got her back from butcher, we had some ham steaks cooked out on the grill tonight... whoooweeee.

You just don't get better than homegrown.

Had friends who just got back from 3 years in Ghana, West Africa over to dinner. Mr. was asking for more "penelope". LOL.

2. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Cool!

Do you mind me asking how much the butcher charged?

We've got two piglets and we are trying to decide if we will butcher them ourselves, or not. We do most of our own butchering usually, but have never done a pig!

Thanks,
    Rachel

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Do it yourself. If you're raising a pig to save money you will lose any savings by hiring out the butchering. It's not that difficult for a couple of people to slaughter and butcher a pig. Heck, even if you mess up a little you really aren't losing. Just because your chops may not have that finished look of a supermarket piece, it'll taste just as good (even better because you raised it).

4. seedspreader

Normally a friend and I would have done it, it was just a time factor that finally forced my hand to the butcher.

Even with that, we sent a large hog (350) and got 175lbs of meat for 175.00 including all the smoking of hams and bacon, and making of sausage etc.

I got this pig for free and spent about 80 bucks to feed it, but the taste difference is worth the cost.

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks Gilberte,
    We will definitely give it a try if it's going to cost that much! We were not just doing it to save money, but to have healthier, better tasting meat, too.
    Ark

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I called to get costs when I was thinking of raising a pig. Around here, in a state-approved facility in Ohio, it costs $20 to butcher the pig (if it weighs 200#), and 38 cents per pound hanging weight to process it. That'd be a lot cheaper than $1 a pound, I'd think.

7. seedspreader

We had HUGE hams and lots of bacon smoked, I think you will be suprised. Let me know how it turns out. Because those are the same prices I was quoted at whiteheads meat in litchfield.

8. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Your "pentelope" reminded me of our garden planting. My 5yo son was soooo excited that he was getting to plant some things this year.
    He very proudly told me that he planted a "whole bunch of antelopes". He promised that he would share them with me. It is a family joke now that we are waiting on the "antelopes" to get ripe.
    Tana Mc

9. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Congratulations ZealYouthGuy! We just raised our own pig (named "Bacon") and steer (named "Ribeye") last year and had it butchered... amazing how good it feels having your freezers full with fresh, healthy meat YOU grew!

10. seedspreader

Well this ain't a first for us, but it's been a few years... first in 20 years probably. Since I was a teenager.