The Best Part Of The Day

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heelpin, May 12, 2004.

1. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

What time do you homesteaders get up? If you don't get up early enough to get outside and watch the sun come up you are missing out on the best part of the day in my opinion. What a joy it is to experience the quietness and coolness with a good cup of java and listen to the birds come to life. I never get tired of it and never cease to sit in amazement and wonder, its great to be alive.

Tom

2. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I get up when I wish or the dogs wake me up. There is always something for me to do here on the Knoll. If I miss the sunrise, its no big deal because the sunset is the same thing only in reverse and here in The Heart of Dixie, all parts of the day are enjoyable :)

3. Murdock

Murdock Member

I agree it is the best part of the day, however I prefer spending it in bed. Waking up early sucks!

The early worm gets eaten...

4. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the those two. I am a night owl.. I don't do mornings at least not well.

5. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

That is my motto. I am up @ 5:30... usually hitting the snooze and watching the morning show in bed till 6. Then up and off to work. At night I tend to work around the house until 7 (tonight is an exception), then on the puter and messing around until midnight.

Weekend mornings are for catching up on the sleep. I dont get up until 8-9-10 whatever time I feel like it. LOL :haha:

My ex-mother-in-law thinks I'm lazy. LOL

6. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I get up fairly early 7-8 usually. I dont like the sunrise because I usually associate it with something I dont like, i.e. Work, School, etc. I do like when the quiet, cool of mornings though to do work around the farm, and I've only been at this farming thing for a few weeks :)

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

For now, I get up at 7am to get the kids to school. I work until 5-6 pm most days, but longer sometimes.

School ends next week and then I'll be getting up at 4-5am so I can get out there and get chores done before it gets too hot. I come in for the afternoon and take a nice siesta, then back out in the evening to finish up.

I am not a natural morning person, but working in the heat of the day is bad for me and for the animals.

Jena

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Im a night person too,but I work nights and try to get out early AM and listen to the birds waking up.I think the morning offers more than sunset because of the activity.Both are pretty nice tho.....
    BooBoo

9. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I go to bed at about noon and get up at about 4:30pm. I drive into the sunset on the way to work and then into the sunrise on the way home. I get a LOT of use out of my sunglasses! :cool:

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Between the dark and the daylight, when the day is really new, I set in my truck watching the sunrise, just like I had nothing to do..

11. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a night owl, both by birth and occupation. I currently work from 6 pm, until 6 am. Into bed by 6:30 am, and usually up at 2::00-3:00 pm, to start again! I like the quietness and solitude of the night.

12. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

The day starts at 4:30 am so I can feed critters before heading off to work by 6. I have to agree that there is nothing like a beautiful sunrise, except for sharing the moment with someone.

13. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

We called that the "see your coworkers later today and see your family tomorrow syndrome". I spent 19 years on graveyard shift with a 1st shift flex and 24/7 engineering trouble support. Three years out and I still do the graveyard schedule. :)

14. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

We get up about 4:30am. It's 6:30 am by the time I get hubby off to work. That means I get to hear the new roosters practicing their crowing. :haha:
    By 10:30 am I need a nap. (That works great in the summer it's too hot outside by 10:30 anyway here.)
    But only a short nap or I'll never be able to get to sleep at night. I do good to go to sleep by 12 am.

Life is good! :) :) :)
    Halo

15. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I get up at 5:30 am, no matter what day it is. If I sleep until 5:35, I have two very wet doggy noses poking me in the ear to remind me that it's time! It truly is my favorite time of day. At this time of year, when the leaves are young, and mist hangs over the pond, it is impossibly beautiful!

16. Hate the City

Hate the City Member

I worked for 25 years on the night shift, now that I am home full time am up at 6:30 with the first cup of coffee by 8:30 the wife and kids are up. This hour or two in the morning when everyone else is still in bed is great. I just sit and watch the world coming to life for the day. But my best time of day, is after supper 8:00 to 8:30 when all the animal have been fed the house work is done and the barn is closed up. This is when I get up on my horse for the final ride out accross the field for the day watch the sub go down it's pitch black when I put her up for the night. Some day I need to get some lights out in the barn. But God's beauty is always seen!

Tracy

17. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

I'm up between 6-7 am, depending on the chickens. Unlike my DW Junebug, I'm a wake up and haul it kind of guy. I have to admit I love being out there in the morning when I let the chickens and ducks out, even if it is with just one eye opened.

18. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Right now we are up at 4.30 a.m. as DH has to start work at 6 a.m. Growing up my family were all up late, bed late people ( still are). DH is an early riser so over the years I've addapted. I now like getting up early and watching the sun come up. Love the smell of the early morning air!

19. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I'm usually up by 5-5:30 am...but for it to be perfect I have to be up that early alone. Alone with my coffee-heaven. Lately I've been sleeping in because of night checks of the mare that due to foal, so I haven't been up until 6:30-7:00.

Stacy in NY

20. swampmoose

swampmoose Member

Amen Brother! It's great to be alive!