Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40,934 Posts
Real estate.
You could combine the two things. Who is your Reid?

1. Find a parcel of land made undesirable by government environmental regulation, utility leases, or simple pesky zoning!
  2. Hire a Reid, invest with a Reid, contribute to a Reid, but above all, know a Reid!
  3. Be patient while Sen. Harry “Papa” Reid does NOTHING UNUSUAL on your behalf and watch those government barriers to wealth melt away!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
My grandfather lost a successful business, and all of his savings in 1929. He and one of his brothers moved their families and what furniture and personal belongings they could fit into a railroad freight car to a small farm they had purchased sight unseen years before. They had purchased the farm as a place for vacations, and to go hunting. But had never actually been there.

They lived on the farm, sold produce, firewood, and beef. They started with a team of horses and a wagon to haul firewood. Eventually they opened a small grocery store. They sold their produce, the produce of farmers around them, beer (even during prohibition) and cigarettes. They sometimes loaned money to other farmers to purchase equipment, often at foreclosure auctions. But they never gave credit at the store.

At the end of the 30's they owned three farms, and everything was paid for. Grandpa only kept a few hundred dollars in a checking account, and never trusted a bank again. When he died, they found nearly one hundred thousand dollars in cash, rolled in bundles held by rubber bands, shacked in shoe boxes under his bed.

My dad told stories of working with grandpa, building fence. Every time they put in a corner post, or a gate post, they buried a Mason Jar filled with silver dollars under it. The uncle who owns the farm now, was too young to help build the fences. He and dad never got along very well, and dad said that Uncle Don probably never knew about the jars under the posts.

The one thing I learned from all the stories that Grandpa, and my dad told us was this. If they hadn't owned that little farm, free and clear. None of the rest would have ever happened.

They had a place to live, a place to plant a garden, and game to hunt. They lived on venison, potatoes, and homemade bread. They worked like slaves, and saved every penny they could.

If all you have is an apartment, a suitcase, and car payments, it is going to be tough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts