The best gravy!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jillis, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I made the best homemade gravy I ever made!

I have never been able to make gravy. But somehow, this time, I made a gravy so good I wanted to skip the potatos and stuffing and eat it with a spoon. Cream of giblet soup.

Everything went smooth as silk in the cooking department this year. And i didn't feel pressured at all, strangely.

How was your Thanksgiving? And what was your biggest success in the meal?

2. charles burns

charles burns Well-Known Member

I ate about 50lbs of honey roast ham and now I feel a bit sick.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer Saugage gravy myself. But with dinner it needs to be brown gravy..

4. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Don't ya just love it when that happens? Reminds me of when I was trying to learn to make homemade biscuits. They just weren't turning out like I wanted, no matter how hard I tried or how closely I followed the recipe. One morning I started throwing ingredients in the bowl, just guessing the measurements......and ended up with the most beautiful, fluffy biscuits ever.

I got smart this year (I'm a slow learner :shrug: ).....I cooked & sliced my turkey on Wednesday. All I had to do yesterday was cook the sides and stuffing while the turkey warmed in the oven. No pressure whatsoever and I actually enjoyed Thanksgiving morning.

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Went out to eat Thanksgiving dinner. No mess, no leftovers, no stress. Loved it!

6. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

Everything went great here too. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I love the cooking. I was flustered Wednesday but got over it. My turkey came out of the oven at 7 yesterday morning and was so tender and juicy it was almost falling to pieces. Ds said that was the best "chicken" he had ever had. The little stinker was in the fridge nibbling the rest of the day. The 2 pumpkin pies are almost gone as is the mac and cheese.

7. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

So glad everyone had such flawless day. I feel stressed still. I feel like I just worked like the dickens for 3 days, in 1/2 hour it was over. Not much help to be had either, Thank god my sister came over from Vermont and was a big help. Well, now to leave work, go home and make seven turkey sandwiches as no one there makes them like I do.
    Enough kvetching, I am blessed to have my health to be able to marathon cook and friends and family healthy enough to eat it!
    Onward ho to Christmas we go!!

8. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I made two smooth as silk sweet potato pies with rum, also made wild rice with sauteed onions, celery and mushrooms, and wild rice cake with maple/coconut frosting. No fuss, just a good time cooking for the neighbors. They provided everything else. I didn't even stuff myself with food. just enough to feel full. They just brought over the turkey carcass for me to make soup out of, which I will share with them. :)

9. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. My biggest sucess this year was the turkey itslf. For some reason it came out looking like a cover from Martha Stewart living. Beuatiful maple glazed color and tender and juicy to boot.

Nikki