The beginning of something sp-egg-tacular?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Timedess, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Timedess

Timedess Guest

LOL. Sorry- we're still in the "it's so cute" stage with our new eggs. :eek:

I was at the natural food co-op that I'm a member of today, talking with the guy in the dairy department. He has been interested in getting eggs from us ever since he learned that we have chickens. Of course, it'd probably take a LOT more hens than we can reasonably have here to produce enough eggs to justify trying to sell them "to market". I do have one potential "doorstep" customer already, though!

What I've been thinking is, could this really, actually be the beginning of something, here? My daughters (11 and almost 13) have been so excited about all the chickens, they do must of the "work" with them now, and they're *very* interested in possibly going into "business" with the chickens. I have been dreaming and praying for land out in the country for such a long time, and sometimes it seems like just a "pipe dream" that may never happen. Yet... could it?

I'm not asking y'all for any advice on how to make *that* dream come true. God'll take care of that when it's time, in His way. What I'd like to know is, other than KEEPING RECORDS, (referencing the posts on here already ;) ), what should we be doing to, shall we say, facilitate a potential future business should we actually end up moving out to the country in the near future? Specifically, with regards to keeping/maintaining/improving our little flock? Right now, we have 4 White Leghorn pullets, 6 Easter Eggers/ Ameraucanas, a Rhode Island Red, a New Hampshire Red, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and a Light Brown Leghorn; along with one RIR cockerel and one Black Austrolorp cockerel.

Do egg customers ever want "blue/green" eggs? (Hah- could team up with Dr. Seuss and market as "green eggs and ham", LOL! :haha: ). What about fertile eggs (as opposed to "roosterless")?

I'm just wondering, what sorts of things do I need to be researching and thinking about NOW, so I'll know what I'm looking at LATER? Speaking of finances as well as the chickens themselves, plans, etc.. I've already looked up the regs here in my state for marketing and I'm good to go so long as I have fewer than 200 eggs and keep them at 45* or less, marked with our name and address, and as "ungraded".

This is exciting, and a little mind-boggling! I've been reading on the boards lately with such excitement and longing over "possibilities", and, well, I'm beginning to wonder if God maybe brought me here to learn, and to prepare me for the future, rather than just dreaming and playing "what if's".

(In case y'all haven't noticed in my other posts, I tend to ramble on a bit... sorry. :eek: Hope I've made some sense with what I'm asking. :) )

in Him,
    Timedess

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Makes sense to me, as one dreamer to another. Sounds like you are on the right track, doing your home work and trusting God to take you where He wants you in His time. Have you thought of 'co op ing ' with some other backyard chicken keepers in your area? Maybe you won't have enough eggs to sell by yourself, but you'd prob be surprised how many people keep a few hens in their backyard. You could try net working and maybe pool eggs to sell to the market.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister in Texas used to buy her eggs from a kid at her church. If your girls aren't going into a big commercial deal right off, they could start their business right at church. Week old eggs (well, between one day and seven) are much better than the 4 to 7 week old eggs one buys at the grocery store. If they only started with five regular customers, they could learn about bookkeeping, name recognition and advertising (they should print out some labels with their farm name and put a label on the egg cartons). Omitting the middle man will actually put change in their pockets.

Seasonally, egg numbers change. During heavy laying periods, extra eggs could be sold at a farmer's market (perhaps using a middle man).

As for the colored eggs, I think people would be delighted to have a couple of colored eggs in with the brown and whites. It just adds to the thrill.

If your daughters are serious, consider getting some ducks. Khaki Campbell ducks lay more per year than a hen (assuming you aren't feeding a supermash to the hens to force them to lay 3 times a day), and some people prefer duck eggs. Keeping ducks is different than keeping chickens though, for instance they sit in their water.

I wouldn't worry about the roosters. The eggs will never be layed on enough to really develop. If you are collecting them every day or every other day, nobody will ever know if they are fertile.

4. Timedess

Timedess Guest

thanks for the info, maura! we'd have to wait until we have some land before thinking about getting any ducks. dh isn't too keen on the idea of ducks at the moment anyway. who knows, though? things tend to change when you least expect them to..... :cool:

Timedess