The Barn Survived -8

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Dec 14, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well the barn survived -8. Upon going down to milk the Jersey @ 6:30, the temperature in the barn was 33.3, there was a couple water bowls frozen, but it was the bowls only. What happened was, anywhere there was some sort of inlet for the cold, it managed to snag a bowl. One was in line of a door, the cold seeped in and managed to freeze that bowl, another two were further down. They were easy to thaw. The other freeze was the main water line coming out of the ground, cold coming in at ground level managed to freeze that line some, but was easily thawed. The 1.5" line I added in that barn helped a lot, it never froze. So now I know the barn can handle down to -8, more or less probably to -10. Tonight it was 5, barn temp was near 38-39 with a temp of 6 out, warmer than last night. Actually it went to 40 for a time, can't figure why. We did put some starw bales near the spot where the cold seeps in, but not sure if that helped. Either way, it is good to know it made it through this first major cold snap.

Jeff

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Well done. Make sure you are still getting fresh air in, and more importantly, getting the moisture out.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Thats the trick, by turning the fans on it will suck cold air in somewhere, which would cool that barn off. Moisture does seem to be escaping, humidity is up some, but not terribly high. This morning had one bowl frozen some, and the same line coming out of the ground froze. I think what happens is the pressure switch line (where it picks up pressure to shut it off and turn it on), freezes. So it doesn't pump water when it hits 30psi, which is the kick on pressure. Once I thaw that area, the switch kicks on, and its set. Seems to occur at the magical -7 or so, which it was this morning. But the barn was warmer this morning, why I have no idea!

Jeff

4. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

It was -2F yesterday on the min/max thermometer. The barn hydrant was froze but I used the heat lamp on it for about 10 minutes and it's been fine since.
    Not as cold this morning, and no wind, but there's a storm on the way.
    I bet the city folk are clearing the milk off the grocery store shelves.