The babies are here!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BlessedMom, May 20, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

oh gosh I have felt like an expectant father lately.
    Our NZ had 7 kits today..finally!!! LOL!
    First time mom and she did great. We have 6 little butterballs and 1 that is a lot smaller than the rest, it was kind of away from the others and it was cold...but very active and alive. I snuggled it up with the others and covered them well.
    I am a little worried. It is really cold out there and the wind can be brutal even though we have them buffered.
    Any suggestions??
    I'm so excited!

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

FANTASTIC!

Is it possible to run out a cord and attach a heat lamp?

3. BlessedMom

No, it's not. The rabbits are quite a ways from the house, I don't know how on earth I would get one out there....maybe like 10 long extension cords???
    I hope that they will be okay.
    There is the one that is not doing well. Everytime I go out there he is uncovered and barely there. I kinda think that she may be uncovering him.

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Mom ,,If your worried about the cold bring the nestbox inside ,, take it out early in the morning for about 1/2 an hour ,, bring back inside ,, take back out in late afternoon for another 1/2 an hour ,, keep inside overnite ,,

if its better weather during the day and I'm checking the cages I'll sometimes leave out all day and just bring in at nite ,, doing that saves those kits that get drug out on a tit from freezing to death at nite ,,

I do this in the winter for the first 7 - 10 days till they start opening their eyes getting fur ,,and start popping out of the nestbox ,, lol

keep in the bathtub in the bathroom (so you can lock out other nosey pets cat/dog?) or in a laundry room ,, you don't want them in the hottest part of the house ,,

most does nurse their kits 1 - 2 times a day so your not keeping her from taking care of them ,,

5. BlessedMom

Well I let them go through the night, and went and checked this morning.
    The little one was off to itself and cold and dead. We tried to warm and get it going, but it also seemed to not be normally developed.
    So it's gone.
    The others are doing great.
    She's got them all nestled down in the tons of fur she has fluffed in the box.
    I felt them and they are surprisingly very warm and comfortable. So I'm going to leave them alone for now.
    They are all fat and plump. The rest all have good color and are snuggling together.
    Thanks for all your help!

Lori

6. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you lost the baby but it sounds like it was meant to be. Glad the others are doing well.