Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People go to school for 12 or more years ( even college )to learn how to make a good living and have the so called good things in life.

Then they spend the rest of there lives reading and studying how to get by on less, eat less after being force feed three big meals a day, that no one need to start with.

Give up the things that they always wanted because they find out they can't afford them.

Then when they retire they won't have enough money to even buy cheap dog food to eat for them selves which is always being recalled because it's contaminated, they will be so poor.

Everyone dreams but most of those dreams are turn out to be night mares.

If you don't have much then you won't have much to loose.
If you don't have much to loose then you won't miss it, if you never had it.

Even people in there 70's going to collage or getting there GED.
for what, to learn what, and Why ? ? ? Where for and no how do they need it because no one will hire them.

Now did you really need all of that education.
NO ... because even a dummy has just as much,
almost every day, and is not in debt ! ! !

Eat raw vegetable and don't waste time and money cooking.

Road kill is even cheaper over a good camp fire ! ! !

Oh the simple life of the Aborigines Tribes in Africa, just moving along.
They don't pay taxes, no credit cards, no speeding tickets etc. etc.

The call of the wild.

The more man learns the more backward he goes.

bumpus

·
23,497 Posts
I read a quote once that said, "The quality of the trip oftentimes depends on what you can do without." I think a lot of life is like that. Taking the time to really consider what is truly important to you and what is worthwhile can make your life much more meaningful in the long run. It isn't always about what you can get.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Kind of like why Insure this Shack if I could,be cheaper just to put up another one :shrug:

Truth if I was young and wanted to go to school it would be a Trade School.

big rockpile

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wind in Her Hair

bumpus says ... you go girl.

·
Super Moderator
16,507 Posts
Way back when, a man worked 12 hour days and had to scrounge to fill his belly.

The American dream is actually more of a hunting permit, and I think it always has been.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Interesting post. I don't have a high school diploma. I don't really care about getting one either, or I would have done so long ago. But... I LOVE education (now)! I have spent most of my adult life taking classes in this and that, I truly love learning. I don't however, care at all if it amounts to anything, I do it because I enjoy it.

Then there's my highly, over educated ( :p ) husband. We enjoy conversing with each other, and I don't feel "dumb" in comparison. We have most enjoyable talks!

I like living a simple life. I also enjoy living the good life. Quite frankly, I'm happy doing whichever, and intelligent enough not to go into debt doing any of it. :p

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've got life by the short & curlies! Got a soul mate for a wife, a little bit of ground, a garden to work, critters to eat. I'm lucky enough to have 2 jobs, debt being paid off, my health and healthy kids. I get to hear birds in the morning, crickets at night and when I go to bed I sleep like a log. A spring on the land, food in the pantry, clothes in the closet and 2 out of 3 vehicles are road ready. I've got a church I enjoy, friends I enjoy and a life I enjoy. American dream?? Good mercy, I've got humanities dream, the dream life of most folks on this planet, most folks that have ever lived throughout history!! Best part is I've got the good sense to know it and appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
CJ said:
Interesting post. I don't have a high school diploma. I don't really care about getting one either, or I would have done so long ago. But... I LOVE education (now)! I have spent most of my adult life taking classes in this and that, I truly love learning. I don't however, care at all if it amounts to anything, I do it because I enjoy it.

Then there's my highly, over educated ( :p ) husband. We enjoy conversing with each other, and I don't feel "dumb" in comparison. We have most enjoyable talks!

I like living a simple life. I also enjoy living the good life. Quite frankly, I'm happy doing whichever, and intelligent enough not to go into debt doing any of it. :p
This says it all...

CJ - congrats to you and your husband for finding the true American Dream...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The college degrees and what they mean:
B.S. - (well, you know what that means; can't say it on a family board)
M.S. - More of the Same
Ph. D. - Piled Higher and Deeper

(Told to me by my dad, a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering!)

I come from a long line of people that value education. Quite a few Ph.D.s in the family, and almost everyone has a college degree back several generations. I love walking thru a huge university level library, thinking of the incredible amount of knowledge contained in those books.

That said, some highly educated people are entirely too pompous. Some have no common sense.

And today, entirely too many people, educated or not, seemingly have no concept of "enough" -- if a 2000 sq ft house is good, then 4000 sq ft must be better!

"You can always tell a Harvard man... But you can't tell him much" (also told to me by my dad!)

--sgl

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is your thoughts on the highly educated person who has no real need for it because they never use it for anything better in life.

bumpus

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sometimes the best education is free or almost...I have a high school diploma and a LOT of lessons learned in the school of hard knocks and life....Even though not college educated I am a level3 proficient in German at least in understanding and speaking and reading(not as high in writing) self taught..I can give a better history class than most college instructors and if it wasn't for the requirement of a college Diploma could be a history teacher..I know the history, have taught classes to peers, and while in the military to subordinates and seniors alike..Have briefed Generals, foreign dignataries and congressmen.........I also know or have known college graduates that had absolutely NO common sense and would drown if left out in the rain...I am not saying that a higher education is a bad thing but in some areas it is very overrated..... And why go through life trying to impress everyone with the degree you have that will take half of your life to pay off and really isn't any good any more, or that is a useless degree that you don't work in........I love to learn and to read....but anymore I pick what i learn, and what its value might be in the future and will it benefit my life...........Lne

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
bumpus said:
What is your thoughts on the highly educated person who has no real need for it because they never use it for anything better in life.

bumpus
Enriching the mind is always a good thing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
When I read the first post, it really cheered me up. Soooo, what's the DOWN side ??? (asked very tongue-in-cheek) :dance:
Miz Margo

·
Unapologetically me
20,815 Posts
Farmerwilly2 said:
I've got life by the short & curlies! Got a soul mate for a wife, a little bit of ground, a garden to work, critters to eat. I'm lucky enough to have 2 jobs, debt being paid off, my health and healthy kids. I get to hear birds in the morning, crickets at night and when I go to bed I sleep like a log. A spring on the land, food in the pantry, clothes in the closet and 2 out of 3 vehicles are road ready. I've got a church I enjoy, friends I enjoy and a life I enjoy. American dream?? Good mercy, I've got humanities dream, the dream life of most folks on this planet, most folks that have ever lived throughout history!! Best part is I've got the good sense to know it and appreciate it.
That's the key right there, knowing when you got it good.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
This has been a major focus for our family later. I did NOT go to college but worked my way up in high tech and reached executive level anyway. Wouldn't recommend that path to my kids and hope that each will get formal education.

However, I got very caught up in the trap of wanting nicer cars, nicer house etc. Got to the point where we had a brand new house and two brand new cars in the burbs.

However, the dream has always been to live on property and to have animals, garden etc.for us and a simple lifestyle that teaches our kids the value of the land, hard work etc.

We bought property in the country, the two new cars and now old but we're keeping them and our priorities have changed drastically. Its very expensive to live int he country here so my income is taken up with house payments, taxes etc so we live more simply on a day-to-day basis.

My priorities have really changed and I value the simple things. We could probably sell our property, buy cheaper property further from the city and I could take a much lower paying job and be happier all the way around.

Food for thought.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts