thats what i get for splurging

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jerzeygurl, Jan 4, 2007.

1. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

I ordered me a new shiny stainless cheese press ( hubbys present to me) from what I thought was a reputable source. It was touted as polished to perfection, comercial quality,

was so excited when i got it, opened and found a hunk of grimey pitted, burred and scratched junk, had to wash my hands after getting it out of box,

cant get the lovely "christian" company to return my calls..... :flame:

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Oh My...would you share which company you got it from so no-one else here will make the same mistake ??

3. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Bummer! Keep calling, maybe you can look up an alternate number, catch them by surprise, otherwise not much you can do, other than report them to the Better Business Bureau and maybe shine it up with some sand paper and a buffer. Good luck...

4. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

oh they answered the phone and said " i dont know much about the stainless ones i'll have so and so (the owner) call you back, its been a week and a half, I also sent an email, no reply,

im thinking i charged it, just sending it back and having the credit card co get the money( i dont carry balance just use to pay for online stuff)

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Call your CC and have them do a charge back. They credit your account, but you'll need to send the merchandise back (at your cost). Easiest way to handle this. Have them sign for the return, proof you sent it and they got it back.

When CC asks why your doing a charge back , just say you didn't get what you paid for, false advertising.

Be sure to tell CC "No future" charges by this company on your account, they still have your CC#, who knows what they might try to pull.

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

good point, about no future charges
    was hoping to settle nicely as thats the best place to get my kefir grains when or if i kill mine....ill just have to be care ful

7. JHinCA

JHinCA Well-Known Member

Was it the Hoegger's stainless cheese press you got? It sounds like yours was a lemon. I got one, too, as my Christmas present to myself. It sure isn't pretty. I had been using a very nice one borrowed from a friend that had a hardwood base and a few extra features. It also costs 3 times as much as the Hoegger's one.

I found that the Hoegger's cleans up okay and works well. On mine the only parts that were really rough were not food contact surfaces, so I'm not too concerned about them. For 1/3 the price of the better one, I can live with it.

I have never had to return anything to them, so don't have any input there.

Re: kefir grains--I think I have seen a kefir website where people often offered free grains to those who lived near them. Don't remember the address, but I bet a google search would find it.

8. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

there is not a surface on it that is not nasty including those that come in contact with food, and it WAS advertised as comercial grade and polished to perfection lol...i would have been happier with a homemade one of my making not a homemade one made by a hack and sold as a professional one...

im glad yours is usable,

9. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

You never did say what company, I am interested too, or you might want to hold off telling us and threaten that you will post their name all over the internet if they don't make it right!

10. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

well i dont want to cause trouble for this sites owners

11. JHinCA

JHinCA Well-Known Member

Have you heard from the company yet?

12. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

jerseygurl, let me know if you need kefir grains. I might have extras.

13. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

nope haven't heard from them, I had thought of listing it on ebay , I'm a very descriptive seller lol :p

i did use the press it self, as it doesnt come in contact with cheese, not sure if it will hold up the 2 bars were very stressed at 40 # of pressure,( yes i spent the 40 bucks for the pressure thingy too :flame: ) but i can't bring my self to use the stainless steel molds i bought, i used the plastic ones i already had. Hubby also noted that there is no place for the whey to drain at all, they are solid ( supposedly to keep cheese from being brittle) but at the bottom of the mold there should be a small something to let whey out?

my kefir is doing good right now.. I'll keep you in mind

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter