Thats one tough duck!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Shygal, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Im a little skeptical that this is the entire story, who puts a whole duck in the refrigerator without cleaning, skinning/plucking, bleeding out, cutting off the head and feet, etc?

But thats one duck that deserves to live out its life in comfort, poor thing!

Shot duck survives 2 days in Fla. fridge

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The 1-pound female ring-neck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

My niece and her daughter burried their cat out by the backyard fence. 3 days later the cat was sitting on their porch.

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

THAT had to have given them the heebie jeebies! :eek:

4. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

"Pet Cemetary" Steaven King

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I saw this on TV and really laughed about it. Maybe it was a "man thing", in a hurry, just put it in there and take care of it later thought.I wonder if he has to pay the vet bill.....

6. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

:eek:

Where they sure it was thier cat? Or just a close look alike?
    I know when day I saw (what I thought was our cat) out in the driveway and I didn't recall letting him out. So I scooped him up to bring him back into the house and when I got to the front door, our cat was sitting on the otherside of the door inside. :shrug:

7. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

As for the duck, they can survive very cold temps. considering underneath thier feathers is alot of down feathers to keep them warm.
    But I would have assumed that being in the fridge for two days would have been a lack of oxygen and it suffocated.
    Guess not.

8. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I can't figure out why they would bring the animal to the vet if they "killed" it to eat. I mean, I don't see any other reason to put it in the fridge. I don't think I'd put a whole dirty duck in the fridge, but I really don't think I'd bring it to the vet instead of finishing it off. Out of curiosity, wouldn't an animal have needed to relieve itself within two days? How would you not notice that?!

Kayleigh

9. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Yeah,that's what I was thinking.Sounds alittle fishy to me.I wouldn't want to look in their fridge :eek:

10. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

The fridge probably wasn't the kitchen fridge, who goes two days without opening their fridge.

I keep an old fridge in the shop just for things like that. Catfish stink bait, worms, all sorts of unsavory things.