That's it - She's outta here!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kidsngarden, Jun 27, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Our first goats were free. An Alpine doe and her doeling. We thought they were great. Then we got our La Mancha doe - she was better. Then our Boer buckiling - Loved him! Then a nubian doe and wether. Darlings - but loud!

So now we just hate our original doe! When we let the goats out to browse in the woods she is ALWAYS into everything she shouldn't be! Our La Mancha can be equally mischeivious, but at least she doesn't run away when you catch her to put her back in her pen. Not only that but the Alpine doe has these terrible spur teats and and even worse udder. I think milking her would be an impossiblity, though she was able to nurse her baby. She is our largest goat (As the buck isn't full grown yet) and eats a TON!

So today is auction day and she is going. Yesterday was a bad Luna (that's her name) day and she is soooo going along with 6 superfluous chickens. I'm hoping her baby will ease up in the mischief department without mama ther to lead the way!

kids

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

That's a bummer when things like that happen. Don't blame it on the breed though, they each have their own "unique" personalities! :rolleyes: I hope for your sake she behaves herself at the auction. Last one I went to there was a doe literally LEAPING from pen to pen. When she lept into a pony pen she got tuned up pretty quick tho' lol.

Good luck with her kid. :)

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Golly, I love Alpines. Send 'em to me!

Ruth

4. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

It's kind of the other way around for me. My British Alpine(first goat I purchased ) is a baby doll. My LaMancha cross is a royal pain in the rear. I didn't give them grain the other morning because we have SOOOO much forage for them right now. I want to feed them in the evenings, but it doesn't look like I'll be doing that. She decided she would get grain somehow and kept breaking into the chicken coop and stealing scratch! I just kept ushering her right back out until I'd had enough. I put everyone back up in their pen (and gave them their own grain). I love 'em, even though they are mischievous at times. I guess that's kind of the endearing part to me.
    So, I'm back to grain twice daily. I guess they just couldn't figure out why I would take away their morning grain, doggoneit :)

It is kind of funny watching a bunch of pygmies and full grown goats squeezing past chicken wire. They love that scratch :p

Sorry to hear she's troubling you. I've felt that way at times, too.

Malissa

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

When you cull your herd down based on personality, you will be so much happier. yes, we all love our goats. But when certain ones start making us miserable, get rid of them! last year I sold a noisy Nubian and a few others that no longer fir my breeding program. The first morning that the Nubian was gone, well, it was heaven! I should have done it sooner. And the goats that I culled along with her were the pushy ones, some Nubian crosses, that just annoyed me. I am so much happier with them gone. My friend purchased them with full disclosure as to why I was selling the, She wanted them any way. They were quality goats, CAE and CL free, healthy, productive, i just didn't want them in my herd. She is just thrilled with them and the goats are very happy and healthy in their new home where their new owner pampers them like babies. Everyone was a winner.

Don't keep goats that drive you crazy...life is too short and there are too many pleasant goats out there. Sometimes it is just a personailty conflict between certain goats and certain humans. I, for one, CANNOT STAND the Nubian personailty. Others adore them. I adore the LaMancha personailty, so sweet and gentle. Others can't stand the fact that they have no ears and are repulsed. To each their own.

Find what suits you and don't settle for less.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

aw heck....28 goats right now and none of 'em drive me crazy...well, not too crazy anyway.

Ruth

7. kidsngarden

Well the auction went well. I felt kinda' bad taking her there, but I knew she wouldn't sell well if I tried to do it myself because of her teats. She sold for $70 to a gal who has a farm and won't eat her (yet). We have a lot of folks from different ethinicities there who buy them and eat them, I was glad that didn't happen to her even though she drives me nuts.

The whole herd bawled when we took her, probably more because she was getting out and they weren't!

Texcountrywoman I agree with you! Life is too short to keep animals that make you crazy! I had a fine black Lab once. We got him free from a gal who was training him to hunt. Great lines, everthing. Smart as they come. She was in an apartment and he needed space and attention so she gave him to us. She had trained him to respond to very gruff yelling. I found myself yelling at him, then turning around and yelling at my kids and everyone else because it put me in such a foul mood! That's how I felt with this goat. She would tick me off so much I was just in a nasty mood!

Anyway, $70 bucks is pretty good for a doe that was free!

kids

8. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

One of my yearling nubians drives me nuts... at least she did. She managed to get out of a locked gate by getting her head between the gate post and the gate and pushing really hard with her legs till the bottom corner of the gate was open enough for her to slip through! I'd be milking in the shed and there would be Kandiland popping her head in the door!!! I had to take some rope and literally TIE the gate shut till dh could get home and fix it. We've finally come to an understanding. I pamper her with the milk goat ration and oats, she follows me. I put plenty of yummies in her pen, she stays in so I can milk. She only tries to escape when I take my other nubian yearling who is freshened. I wonder though.... how long will it take to come to an understanding about milking her once she kidds LOL

9. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

My orginal doe and her kid were my first goats. They had four doelings that I kept. As time went on, she would beat up and be pushy to all the does and kids so I finally decided to sell her. The daughter became top doe and the herd settled into a nice life. If something happens to this older doe though, the next highest doe will make life miserable for the rest (saw it when older doe was separated for breeding) When those top two went out for breeding, a bottle baby became a witch! Beating up everyone. Guess it goes according to the pecking order.

10. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Yes, there will always be a herd queen. =) And with power comes...(personality confict) to say it sweetly!
    Our Alpine went through a rotten "teen phase" at 15 mo-2 yrs...we were ready to send her up the road...she kidded beautifully this spring and has settled into a nice goat! Glad she's still with us!

11. kidsngarden

Our La Mancha has been the herd queen since we got her, but while she does do her fair share of "goat antics" she is still so much more behaved than Luna was. Thus far the goats have been sweet as pie since Luna left, even her yearling has been an angel without her unfluence. Hopefully this won't change after a few days of adjustment.

kids

12. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Luna's Gone-----Mary Chapin Carpenter

Was it a light only she could see
    A gypsy's spell, a mystery
    Something to cause our girl to roam
    Was it a song only she could hear
    Whispering charms in her ears
    Causing her to leave our happy home
    Guess the light of the moon is all we've got to go on
    Guess we're never gonna know and she's telling no one

Luna's gone, she's gone away
    All day long I call her name
    Luna's gone

There wasn't a sign of wanderlust
    A quarrel, a breach of faith or trust
    Nothing to give us one thin clue
    Her eyes like the moon in a heart-shaped face
    Astonishing speed, amazing grace
    Little wild child we loved so true
    Guess the wind in the trees is all she left behind her
    Guess it's part of the plan to know we'll never find her

Luna's gone

Woo-ooo, the end has come, verse and chapter
    Woo-ooo, I'll miss that girl forever after
    Woo-ooo, she left us now the way she came
    No amount of love could tame her, free as the wind that blows...

Guess she couldn't resist the lure of the open spaces
    You won't find her in Miami Beach or Vegas

Luna's gone

13. kidsngarden

Well thanks for that! That gave me a chuckle except there is no "missing her forever after" for my part - but I think the goats might!

kids