That was something new...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Reauxman, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Yesterday I attended a show in Gulfport, MS. Usually our shows have decent ammounts of NZW's and Cals, about 20 a show in each breed. Yesterday I know at least 90 got to the table in both breeds combineed. The smallest class was 4 animals, that was odd being usually most shows there is at least one class skip. I really felt sorry for our judge, she got stuck with NZW, Cals, Satin, Flemish, a large class of 20 Rhinelanders and a few other breeds, plus the BIS judging. I tink everyone understood her sigh when she finally got the Netherlands and Polish in show B.

2. grand slam

grand slam Active Member

What breeds do you show? How did you do at the show?

3. Reauxman

I show a little of everything. I currently have 6 breeds in my barn if I am remembering all of them...lol.

My show string currently consists of a few netherlands, two woolys and a florida white doe. Everyone else is out of shape. I also have dutch, mini rex and polish.

I took BOB wooly in show A. The others didn't do much, but my good ND's are getting older and fat. Mary Kate, my 37 leg GC doe is pushing 6 and I'm thinking of retiring her. She did get DQ'ed at the show for a dewlap. She won her 37 th leg last week though....as BOSB

4. grand slam

grand slam Active Member

Wow. I don't show that much so when I had a buck with 7 legs I thought I had something. Did that doe ever have babies for you? and if so how did they turn out? What are the lines in your netherland dwarfs?
    thanks

5. Reauxman

I did get some litters off of her. 3 a year usually. I breed my does in the summer ad show fall-spring. Her last litter was weaned Nov. 15. She took a BOB on the 17 of Nov.

My dwarf line has recently been heavily influenced by animals from David Weaver in TX. She was before Weaver's time more or less. She's got local lines. I think thats the best. I'm debating breeding her for brokens.

6. grand slam

grand slam Active Member

I don't know a lot of the southern breeders. Many of my dwarfs are Covert lines mainly the Himis and Sables. The Otters I am working with came from Ca and then I got a pair of Otters out of Cowen stock. The Cowen buck took BOB this last fall out of 91 Dwarfs then decided to rip up his nose on the feeder somehow. Never had that happen before. The Cowen doe is a nasty thing and that is how I got her. The guy that had her said one more litter and she will be gone. I asked him to throw her my way when he didnt want her and he gave her to me bred that day. None of her babies have acted like her. I have found out at about 5wks old, she wants the babies out. I love breeding the Dwarfs. Such personality and so many nice rabbits from them.

7. Reauxman

Dwarfs are by far the nastiest animals I've ever seen. I have just noticed this within the last few years when I started adding new stock into mine. Mary Kate, the doe with 37 legs isn't nice. She bit Kitty Lynch a few months ago, but Kitty Lynch deserves it...lol. As usual of Kitty she was DQ'ed for something besides agression(a non-existant puss pocket, no one else saw it). After we had her down here for that one show, I doubt she will be called back to come. Too many people refuse to show under her. I'll show woolys under her all day, but nothing else. I just showed under Tom Green from up your way and wasn't impressed. He is way too fast to get a good look. He didn't lay a hand on my Wooly doe and placed her 4 th in a class of 5. This doe took BOB 45 mins earlier under Brad Kingsbury(awesome judge) and BOB under Kitty(for what thats worth). I haven't shown under many judges up your way. Glenn Carr is awesome. I usually like the judges no one else does....lol Carol Hooks and Mike Withrow are two of my favorites. We have a new judge down here, Lori Neagle, if you have a chance to show under her I think you'd be pleased. She's very knowledgeable about both the commercial breeds and the smaller breeds, although I wasn't overly impressed with her Dwarf pickings a few weeks ago, they weren't too bad(I watched a certain judge from TN pick a 4 pound BOB dwarf with a polish head and ears you could read between.)

8. grand slam

grand slam Active Member

I don't do a lot of showing and haven't been showing out of Iowa the past few years. We see alot of out instate judges such as John and Gary Grimm, Mike Avensing whom are all great judges. Some clubs try to get some out of state judges in for a show. Tex and Tonya Thomas have always been good about coming to Iowa to judge. There are only 2 judges I won't show under because of their roughness in judging. I just don't go to those shows where they are judging as you never know what breeds a judge is assigned to until the time of judging. Why waste my money?

9. Reauxman

I've shown under Tex once and wasn't the least bit impressed. I would show under him again, but his placings weren't that great(and one of my animals took BOB) When you how against the same animals weekly, you know them nd how they should place. Dwarf breeders down here are friendly and I can walk up to any of them at a show and ask for them to put a certain animal on aale for me to look at. We always do that just so we know how we stand against each other. I can't say I've seen ajudge too rough, but I may be what some call rough. Rabbits are not very breakable, and sometimes it requres firm handling for the best interest of both the judge/writer and animal. I've seen a judge not fimly grasp an animal on thtable and not proerly retrain i an end up wit a nice havana with a broken back.

10. grand slam

grand slam Active Member

One judge likes to lift up a dwarf and let it drop from about a foot off the table. I don't think that is needed. Ive liked tex thomas judging and his humor. Does a nice steady job of judging, makes decent comments, and doesn't put down anyone. Also nice with the kids. And he explained a few things to me after the judging was completed without any problems. Do you belong to the ANDRC? When I first started there was a lady names Alice Day that had NDs I think in LA. That has been a long time ago. Do you have any pics of your ND? What varieties do you raise. I have some Himis, some SS, but I have been working on the Otters and get some Blacks from them also. I like the contrast in the Otters. Thanks