Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my first goat for meat - the Nubian/Saanen wether. :Bawling: They were going to butcher him right away at my neighbour's farm around the corner so he's probably already gone. I guess it gets easier - but I still feel kinda bad. At least I know he's not going to some awful home where he'll be neglected.

·
Registered
174 Posts
aww :( I'll probably be selling my first goats for meat (nubian/ober wethers) sometime soon too--unless someone wants them as pets :D

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that route, but there just isn't a lot of market for full-size pet goats. The Nigerians, yes.

Ya just can't keep 'em all!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
They sure are good eating.

big rockpile

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sure are good eating.
Yes, I've eaten goat and enjoyed it. This one was four months old and still nursing, so I imagine he'll be nice and tender. :rolleyes:

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
It gets easier. But IMO, it should never be so easy that we feel nothing. Even as we become ol' pros at this living off the land business and growing our own meat....we should never lose our humanity and feelings of tenderness toward our charges. If it becomes completely painless to take a life to feed ourselves or provide meat for others, then perhaps there was never enough respect for the animal's lifeforce to begin with. "LIFE" is precious and should never be taken for granted or disrespected. Sadness is appropriate when a life ends but the cycle of life continues.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Tears here,as well.Beautifully written.I had to sell at auction two bucklings that I fought to keep alive when they were babies.The one was so gentle and sweet- followed me around.I had hoped to see who bought him, but couldn't so guess I wasn't supposed to.I would have loved to see him when he was full grown.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Aw sucks yall :)

I fight to keep little bucks alive at birth too. Little wet slippery things that are barely breathing, even bottle-feeding them, special teatment, spending the night in the house. They look at me as "mom". Later on they ar in a zip-lock bag as left-overs but they were well loved and served their ultimate purpose. Their life was not a waste. Their trip to my freezer was one small step of my dollars staying out of the big meat packing plant animal hell industry where there is no repect and no mercy.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree better to go with a blessing among family and friends then either the factory farm where you are just a number going through the assembly line - ick.
Absolutely. The little guy had a good life while he was here, and he went quickly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts