Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a little ewe last week. I'm supposed to pick her up tomorrow. She is coming from a farm with a parasite problem. No you don't buy those sheep BUT...I couldn't just leave this beautiful little lady there! No grass... lots of mud. She seemed perfectly healthy...good gums and eyes. I run a fiber flock. I have no plans to start raising sheep commercially. I have 3 other sheep. Fecals on my sheep have shown they haven't needed worming for 2 years. But now I'm bringin this little thig here and hopefully save her. I have a separate place for her. How long does she need to stay there? She was wormed last week....I don't' want to reworm again this soon. And to top it off, a ram got in with her this week. So there we are....probabably pregnant. What other percautions do I need to take than separating? I am a bit concerned about the stress of the move along with being pregnant giving her an upswing in the parasite population. She hasn't been on grass and I have a ton of it. Do I need to limit her grass in take for a while?

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
I'd limit her time on pastures until she gets used to the fresh vegetation.
Don't put her on it when it's wet.

If she's already been wormed and is showing no symptoms I wouldn't worm her again.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you guys are revealing what's in your minds. One of my first posts on this site was to ask what size your hubby was.....because that's how to figure out how large of a feezer to buy for a side of beef. I thought I 'd gotten past that.

No worries about the new ewe. She fixed her own issues buy jumping over the shelter to get in the pen with the other sheep overnight. She's been just fine. Hopefully, she'll give me at least one lamb this spring for us to enjoy.

·
Registered
31,358 Posts
Callie you should be writing headlines for a newspaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts