That heat feels good...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by almostthere, Dec 4, 2006.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Its been bitter cold for about a week now, maybe more. "Bitter" to me is 20-30 degrees. I wouldnt know what I would do with myself if it were colder. Last night as we were retiring we didnt load the Fisher. Instead I turned up the heat, and it occured to me we haven't turned on the heater for an entire week and survived(actually, I think this is the first this season). Dh gets wood from a mill for $10 a load. So today I load up the Fisher, turn off the heater, and feel that warmth once again. Its not the same, heat from the gas fired heater and the wood. If any of you are on the fence about heating with wood, let me tell you, its like eating fresh hot chocolate cake while you're in a hot bubble bath good.

I think I will just check the filters and run it once more to check for maintence and then leave it off for good. I know my checkbook will be pleased.

2. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with you almosthere. Our cabin has a gas heater which works okay even without a electric blower, yet I find myself wishing we had a wood stove. I also really like the smell of burning wood , its almost as good as the smell of a chocolate cake! :)

3. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

well I guess if the gas was free it would certianly make up for it. I dont have that option here.

Some land we looked into said it had a "pipeline'.

4. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I love our woodstove. We can't use our furnace, as the ductwork fell apart (getting it fixed at tax time hopefully). I woke up this morning at 3:00 and checked the temp in the living room and it was 55. Thought we should probably open the damper a bit and get the fire going again. It heats the living room, kitchen, dds room and dss room. However, it does not heat other dss room, bathroom, office or our bedroom. Have found that the bedwarmers talked about in craft section come in quite handy.
    We do use little electric heaters to suppliment the heat some.