That dreaded phrase-''It won't be cheap''

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Nov 18, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

So said the contractor regarding finishing our driveway. :(

Unfortunately we have no idea what HE considers 'not cheap'....he is however faxing us a complete quote but until then we will be waiting to find out.

OUR idea of not cheap and his may be quite different...we are hoping that is the case. :p

He DID say he thinks it will take fifteen loads of gravel...

Any thoughts on how much that would be??

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Couple Thousand, at least, including gravel and CAT or backhoe to level it (???).

Let us know.

Alex

3. thebugguy

thebugguy Not just another fungi

When building a new house, I've learned that *nothing* is cheap.

We're using an existing roadbed for our driveway, but I shudder to guess what re-grading and gravelling it will cost when we're through. I just try not to think about it...

4. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

In 1999 ours cost $1800 plus $350 for the HE operator.

5. oz in SC

We are hoping that 'not cheap' is under $10,000 and hopefully under $5,000...

The contractor owns all his own equipment and is a nice guy-seems to have taken us on as a special case... :eek:

On another topic,doyou think a Kubota 50 HP 4x4 tractor with front loader would be able to knock down small trees and brush?

A friend has one and a while back said we could 'rent' it if we bought a bush hog...would have to work out the exact details but IF it could be used to clear out the scrub and brush the price of a bush hog might be worth it....

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

A skilled experienced dumptruck driver can almost build your road for you, provided you have leveled and graded a decent road bed prior to delivery. Then just clean it up with a decent sized tractor with a rear grader blade. Ask around; you should be able to find a gravel company that can do it on the cheap.

7. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I just had a 100 Foot driveway/and culvert put in on our property. The enitre cost was 1650.00 ( original estimate was 1000 but needed more dirt and rock) This included 2 loads of dirt and and two of SP2 Blue rock, the 12"concrete culverts, tractor and labor costs. It is 12 feet wide and 100 feet long.

8. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Oz, I've knocked down some small brush with a Kubota 4x4 and FIL, but it's not really built for that kind of abuse long term. A skid steer or small Cat track loader/dozer would be better. What does a skid steer cost to rent in your area, especially a tracked version. They have more "umph" in them.

9. poppy

poppy Guest

Oz, call a gravel dealer in your area and get a price on gravel. We have gravel pits here and road gravel is about $100.00 delivered for a 15 ton load. They have to haul in white rock from about 80 miles away and it is around $200.00 a 15 ton load. White rock ( chat ) does last longer and is worth the difference from my experience.

10. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Hey oz! Sounds like you are building a McMansion :D

11. frugalville

frugalville Well-Known Member

What is finishing your driveway ? Cut a roadbed and some gravel ? Asphalt ? Sounds like you are handy if you can use the tractor. Why not rent a skid steer and cut your own roadbed ? If you are cutting brush and removing trees....

The lay of your land will determine cost as well..Ditches, slopes, and runoff.

Wait til' the estimate comes back and see how much of it is 'trucking gravel' and how much is excavation. You should be able to have your own gravel trucked in from a quarry in your area. They can even 'tailgate' it for you.

You can get a bushog attachment for a skid steer if you need a one time 'bushog' fix.

...and beware of words like 'special case' and 'won't be cheap'. If you plan on throwing money at the problem, get 3 estimates to be sure. Good luck.

12. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The last stone I purchased here in NC came from the quarry in a tandem axle dump and the travel distance was approximately 15 miles one way. The costs was $20/ton for washed stone and the truck carried about 15 tons per trip. I suggest that you check with the redy mix concrete suppliers and ask if they have any crushed concrete for sale. Recycled the crushed concrete is about $6 per ton plus delivery and the recycled concrete makes a tremendous base for a fresh cut road.

13. oz in SC

Ther driveway is already cut in and is useable although getting a little rough in places from the monsoons up there..

I will keep y'all updated with the costs and I will try and find out if crushed conrete is available...

Down here we have asphalt millings that is quite cheap compared to gravel,I will ask him about that too.

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

There is a couple up here who paid, I kid you not, a QUARTER OF A MILLION.. $250,000, for a driveway. Apparently they sited the house, told the contractor to drive a road up to it, and left it at that. There was ledge to blast away, tonage in material to be moved... quarter of a million later they had their driveway. At which point she decided the local contractors were out to get them and the property went onto the market.

But can you imagine? A quarter million dollar driveway...

15. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

quarter of a mill would buy a lot of land(round here at least).. Sure wouldn't spend that on a drive (not that I would have that much anyway :) )

16. oz in SC

People around here buy Palmetto trees for their yards...unfortunately they die quite a bit from being transplanted....AND grow naturally here IF you didn't clear all the land before building....

17. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

Figure 10 cubic yards per triaxle truck and 1.35 tons per cubic yard=13.5 tons per truck. round up to 15 to be safe. figure cost at the quarry for 78's is about 15-16 bucks per ton doubled for trucking should be no more than 450-500 per truckload.

You can approximate how mayn cubic yards required by this formula length of drive in feet x width of drive in feet x .16 for two inches of. all that divided by 27 will give you CY required LxWx.16 = CY
    Figure500 per day for a dozier or grader.

add everything up add taxes for subtotal then multiply by 15-20% and that is probably close to a fair price.

You can buy screenings or unwashed stone a little cheaper per ton but not much. Crusher run packs and stays in place better because of the fines in it. Washed stone will keep walking away on you .

18. oz in SC

Just thought I would keep y'all updated,we received an estimate for the work.

Grading and shaping drive: $3000
    Four crossover pipes: $600
    Thirteen loads of ABC stone: $3100

There will also be a culvert pipe for the creek but he hadn't received a call from the company but he will give it to us at cost.

The driveway is about 1/4 mile long.

We were quite worried about how muchit was going to come out being but we are happy it was not more...

19. poppy

poppy Guest

The stone and pipe costs seem reasonable. The grader work is a lot more than it would cost here, but then again, I don't know what all he has to do or what he's doing it with. Around here you can hire a grader and operator for less than 80 dollars an hour and a good operator can do a lot of work in a half a day. Of course he will have some time installing the culvert and setting it properly. I'm sure it will be nice when it's done and you should be set for a few years with no worries about your drive,

20. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

Well, there is a saying that goes..
    You can measure the success of a man by the length of his driveway.