That darn haltering breaking...a rant..need help aswell!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by SmokedCow, Jun 13, 2006.

1. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

WELL...i wanted to tie up my calf. and when we weighed him in MARCH...he weighed a lil over 1000 lbs...WELL...now its 3 months later..and hes prolly 1200 lbs. so me and my dad lead him back in the ally..and then he bolted in the sorting yard...dad let go, i went draggin' he kicked me, and then slammed me in to the iron gate...busted one gate WIDE open, riped my dang shirt..and scraped my arms..And dad wasnt that much help...since hes got a screwd up arm...Oh everyone...what should i do?!Trackor him? hes use to being tied up...just not lead..and hes so big. Hes a full Maine...just not very tall..but ALOT of power...He was last tied up/lead in early Jan.
    thanks everyone..just neede to get that out!
    AJ

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

At that weight, are you sure that he's still considered a calf? My guess is that you shoulda started months ago.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

If you can get a hold of a decent-sized donkey, put the halter on the steer, and tie a bow-line around the donkey's neck. You want it snug, but not tight on the donkey. Turn them out in a pasture, and in a day or two you can lead the steer anywhere you want him to go. It doesn't have to be a huge donkey, just a mature standard will probably be large enough. They're amazingly strong for their size. This really works; I've done it a number of times.

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

If it were me, and it's not, I'd put a halter on the beast and short chain to a stout for a few days. He'll learn that he can't fight the halter, well, he can, but he can't win. During the days he is haltered get him used to you touching him and being around him. Once he knows you can dominate him he'll be good most of the time, but even the best trained steers and oxen have their days. This training can take a very long time, maybe months, if the animal is older and people skiddish.

The donkey training will work very well, if you have a donkey. You can use another steer or a large cow the same way, just use something of a similar size. The animal tied around the neck has mechanical advantage over the animal wearing a halter, and thereby lead by the nose.

5. tcboweevil

tcboweevil Well-Known Member

for some reason, our bull is not a good bucket calf. he is strong at 1 yr. so we tie his rope to the tractor and walk him to and fro. he doesn't fight the tractor except a tiny tug here and there just to test the line. Before hed run off and give me burns if I forgot to let go. Through my gloves that rope would burn get hot. hope this helps.

6. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

We'll ya'll.. day two..and hes makeing progress...Today for water...we filled a tub in the stall..and once we got him to settle down, we just lead him the water in the stall..that way..we have posts, a gate and if he did happen to get away..we could easalie snatch him up.. This will be the week of who wins...and we plan on us comming out on top. Once we wash him he'll settle down..and the tractor is our last resort. Thanks everyone..thank god this might be my last calf..and i think il stick to hogs! :rolleyes: