That 4 letter word that is so misunderstood...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

DIET

When you say the word diet everyone thinks your talking about eating a reduced amount of calories in order to lose weight. When diet really refers to what you eat on a daily basis.

Some people eat a junk food diet or the pizza and beer diet, a vegetarian diet etc.... You get the point.

I have put all of my kids on a DIET. The kids are 3, 7 and 10. They are on the healthy food, watch your portion size, eat treats in moderation diet.

So when I decline going out to buffet bars with my friend and her kid because I know we would all over eat she quizzes me as to why my kids are on a diet.

So maybe the word diet isn't the best way to describe the eating habits I want my children to have.

Should I say my kids aren't allowed processed foods or they are on a healthy food diet.

What is a good way to say this to people so they understand?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Enriched nutrient diet?

3. Melissa

Melissa member

I would just say the entire family has made a commitment to healthier eating. That should suffice.

4. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Ditto what Melissa said.

Kat

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

We are on the same "diet" -- and I face the same situation frequently.

I've found that nothing makes people understand better than "we don't eat processed garbage and call it food."

That's generally after I've POLITELY declined once or twice and been treated to their "but your kids would LOVE it..." speech.