Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, we've probably talked about this already a dozen times in the last few weeks. I missed it or forgot it.

So... those members who are American and still have it to plan... what's on your Thanksgiving Menu? (... and if you're a Canuk and can share what were hits at your Thanksgiving table... or any other Thanksgiving table that has passed already this year in other countries... please do so.)

·
23,497 Posts
I am baking the biggest turkey I can find. Along with it dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, dinner rolls, sweet potato casserole, cranberry relish, homemade noodles and devilled eggs. I am making a pumpkin roll for dessert. Everything else we have will be brought my guests. I have everything to make all of this except I have to pick up a turkey. I am trying to keep my costs low this year!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds yummy! Melissa, do you make cornbread stuffing or with wheat bread? We always eat wheat bread stuffing. I wouldn't mind a change this year.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
There will be 9 or 10 here. I'm doing a big turkey plus a cranberry pork loin. We'll have stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry relish with pineapple, rolls, glazed carrots, dilly beans, bread & butter pickles, deviled eggs, and rolls. Company is bringing dessert and kielbasa and pierogies.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yep... we do turkey (I do two 11 pounders, to be assured of moist tender meat) and dressing, giblet gravy, homemade rolls, rice, macaroni and cheese, a fruit casserole, green beans, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, a layered green salad. For dessert I 'll make a pumpkin roll (or maybe two, have a crowd), a lemon chess pie (requested by DD),and a chocolate/raspberry cake (requested by BIL every year). Aunt will be bringing a pretzel congealed salad and a carrot/spice cake. Will have various pickles and condiments, including beets, which only myself and FIL love.

We eat at lunch, and have leftovers till they run out. ; )

dawn

·
23,497 Posts
Sounds yummy! Melissa, do you make cornbread stuffing or with wheat bread? We always eat wheat bread stuffing. I wouldn't mind a change this year.
I keep a bag in my freezer for odds and ends of bread. Right now it does have some cornbread in it, so there will be some cornbread this year. I love to make dressing- I call it dressing because I don't actually stuff it into the turkey.

·
Registered
582 Posts
We are going to deep fry the Turkey, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, cornbread dressing, Green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, yeast rolls, deviled eggs, fruit salad, pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep a bag in my freezer for odds and ends of bread. Right now it does have some cornbread in it, so there will be some cornbread this year. I love to make dressing- I call it dressing because I don't actually stuff it into the turkey.
That sounds great!

Does anyone want to share their cranberry sauce recipe? This will be my first year trying it. I have three bags of cranberries from Aldi's sitting in my freezer.

·
23,497 Posts
I like it a variety of ways. If you cook the whole cranberries just like it says on the package-maybe a little less sugar, then when you take it off the heat you can add what you like. I especially like chopped oranges, pineapple, and pecans. You can try chopped apples and walnuts also.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. Anything more is water over the ----

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, candied yams, yeast rolls, corn, pumpkin pie, frog eyed salad. (I know, it sounds weird, but it's similar to ambrosia) I usually have cinnamon rolls for breakfast and make up a veggie tray with dip and some celery with cream cheese and olives to snack on while we're waiting for the turkey.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Don't forget the acorn squash! I do it differently; instead of sweet, I make it with garlic butter! Just bake the two halves open-side down in a glass 13x9 in an inch of water (cover w/foil) About 1hr - 1:15 Then, flip right-side up, fill the halves with 1/2 tsp minced garlic and 3 TBS butter and a dash of salt. Broil until butter is melted and ever-so-slightly brown.....MMMMMMM!!!!!

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, black eyed peas, lima beans, green beans, mac and cheese, corn, bread, sweet potato cake, pumpkin pie, pecan pie. I think that's it. I won't cook the rest of the week.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Thanksgiving is a huge 'to-do' here! Dh fries two turkey breasts and one whole turkey. I make cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, collards, pintos and deviled eggs and sweet tea! For dessert we have chocolate cake, angel food cake with strawberries and pecan pies.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I thought we were going to have just Hubby and me for Thanksgiving but last night my son told me he's coming and so is our youngest daughter. My menu has changed from chili to Turkey, Cornbread dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes, field peas, corn, tossed salad, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. Oh and mac and cheese for the youngest ones.

SGG-Jan

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
i'm visiting my brother and his family, so he controls the menu. he's somewhat vegetarian, so usually they have salmon for thanksgiving/christmas, instead of turkey. deviled eggs will be there in abundance. and my brother's mother-in-law is an exquisite pie maker, so there should be some delectable pumpkin, cherry, and apple pies with flaky crusts... hmmm. i'll be dragging grain grinder up there, so will be using some fresh ground wheat.

--sgl

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, we're going to have turkey and dressing for sure. I am getting other ideas from the rest of you. Thanks for posting your menus!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I thought we were going to have just Hubby and me for Thanksgiving but last night my son told me he's coming and so is our youngest daughter. My menu has changed from chili to Turkey, Cornbread dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes, field peas, corn, tossed salad, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. Oh and mac and cheese for the youngest ones.

SGG-Jan
Now why is it wive's just don't want to fix a good meal unless the kids are coming home.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
We will have a crowd of 10 or 11 here in our tiny place.... So between all of us, our menu will include....

Turkey, Smashed Potatoes, Baked Corn, Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry Sauce (yuk!), & Rolls..... Then of course pie for dessert....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts