Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year, it will be me, and my 3 kids.

((ADHD moment: THIS right here is why I want to open a little restaurant by a military base. I want to have a place for folks who have no family or are far away from family can come, and it feels like 'home...like family'.))

I am not sure what to do this year?

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Well, if you are all three under one roof, why not work together to plan and make the meal, with each person/parent/child making what they like best. Of course, it may be four courses of dessert or four kinds of meat or you all could be vegetarians for a day. It's all good, especially if you are surrounded by family.

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
I like to ask each family member to name one dish they would like the most, and I will make sure it is prepared. (I choose the main course because when the kids were younger they might have chosen spagetti)

I also ask or encourage my kids to help me. DD was excellent in decorating the table with pretty leaves and pretty glasses or whatever, DS was good about running and fetching, and both help with things like preparing desserts and other things that they valued.

Then when we sit to eat I talk about how wonderful everything looks, and we give thanks for the bounty and for the blessings of the year!

I do not know what your customs are or even if your kids are open to working in the kitchen with you, but it is what we do.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'd try a couple new recipes. Maybe put up the tree without decorating it, that is reserved for another family day. Watch the FB game, while playing board games, a holiday themed puzzle going on for certain somewhere.

Personally we always grilled the bird then when done took the canoe across the river and went arrowhead hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Whatever else has happened, you are still a family. First Christmas and Thanksgiving were hard for the kids and I. It was important to me to acknowledge to the kids although there was loss, holidays were a time to celebrate and have fun. We instituted some new traditions to go along with the old. Instead of turkey or ham, we had lamb. A rare treat and enjoyed by all. It was just the three of us but how blessed we were.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
My favorite holiday! The one thing I always do on the day is... Give thanks. ;)

Whatever y'all do, be a family and don't stress out on stuff, or wish for things that ain't. That is for some other day. It's always nice to invite others, even strangers, to share in, and add to your blessings. I'm sure y'all will have a good one.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Most of our family meet at our Lake House and I cook most of the dinner. There are a couple of people fairly close to us that have medical problems,. and we makeup plates to take to them.
Some times we invite the next door neighbor to ear with us if her dd cannot make it home or she don;t go there. It makes for an interresting day and a very enjoyable one. We have turkey and ham so every one has a choice and sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes so the choice is theirs with the meat. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and many blessings to you.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
If where you live has a soup kitchen or similar, you could donate your time on Thanksgiving day, then have your family dinner on Friday or Saturday. That way you'd be giving a lot of people a good day, and still have just your family together too.

We have Thanksgiving on Saturday after, so that there won't be conflicts with other peoples' own families or with Black Friday for those folks who can't not shop. We end up with about 30 people most years.

Just because a particular day is designated a holiday doesn't mean I have to celebrate on that day. Especially when the kids get old enough to be married. Then you have to share them with the spouse's family anyway, so might as well be flexible.

Kit

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
DD and I decided our holiday traditions would be happy and full of laughter. Instead a grasping to the past of traditions that were never that good for us, we do something different every year. Family, friends, community, sometimes only the two of us giving thanks for the blessings in our lives. The only true traditions from year to year are contentment, laughter and mashed potatoes.

·
Super Moderator
13,689 Posts
We sleep in and get anything except turkey subs at the Subway Sandwich shop or pizza from one of the places that stays open on holidays and have pie bought from the bakery the day before.

Traditional cooking and the associated after dinner mess to clean is just too much hassle for 20 minutes of eating before watching a movie when neither of us really cares for turkey and dressing anymore.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
For the past few years I've gone to my oldest son's place for Thanksgiving. But now I have a house, and even though it is very small, I imagine it will be filled to the gills this year. First of all, DIL and 4 grandsons are living here now, so, we're starting out with 6, and then I'm just gonna invite EVERYONE... son and roommate, a family I'm very close to which consists of 4 people, youngest son and girlfriend, for starters.
I've been wanting to cook and invite others over for YEARS now, like back in the good old days, but wasn't able to. This is my favorite holiday. The house may be packed, but I am SOOOO looking forward to this! :bouncy: Will probably pick out a couple good movies to watch, and later on in the evening, build a big bonfire out back.

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
Whatever You do, be sure to pace Yourself throughout the day*,eat all day long*, and be wary of those big comfy chairs and couches, they will draw You in, and the next thing You know you will be in la-la land*. Just kiddin', I hope that You enjoy this Holiday with Your Family. Peace*

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
I reckon I will make the meal and DD and her kids will show up to eat on it a bit. Poor DD never has learned to cook, lol. After divorce, I had a lady friend that wanted to have big parties at her house on T day. I made the turkey, dressing, and gravy and took it over, she did the sides and desserts.
Last few years, I made the whole meal to eat here. Sometimes one of the kids would show up with families and dig in , sometimes it would just be me, and kids would show up for leftovers over the next few days. One time, I made dinner for myself, and then got a call to come to some friends house, stuck my stuff in fridge and went.
Hard to justify turkey and dressing for one broke down old cowboy. But on T day, i'm havin it.

come to think on it, i got a small turkey in the freezer, think I'll thaw it out, then cut it up and put it on the grill for a while. Thinkin grilled turkey enchiladas.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Holiday meals are a bit different for my family. Last year there were probably 70 to 75 people there. The men cook the proteins on the pits, sides come in lots of forms. From Mexican, traditional to some from the Middle East. Don't remember any time that we had Turkey and dressing type of meals. Oh nearly forgot my favorites tamales!

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
... Hard to justify turkey and dressing for one broke down old cowboy...
If I am sure it's just me, I do Cornish Game hen. Looks & smells like turkey, and I have leftovers!

Mon

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think we are going to do something completely untraditional.

Dinner?
We're gonna do some new stuff....

Low Country Boil, with Gulf Shrimp.
I need to find a legit recipe.

Collards.
I want to make collards....and again, I need to find a legit recipe.

My oldest and I picked up a couple of new cookbooks (well new to us) and they are PACKED with excellent recipes. I want to make (2) more entree's...and a couple more sides...

I know myself and my 3 kids will be here, but I don't know if any of my son's friends are coming or my girl's friends....but I am gonna make enough to feed 'em all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts