thanks Vicki and more questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Vicki, you answered a couple questions I was planning to ask about milking her. When I brought her home from the vet. I milked her almost out, probably a quart.. She was sick and had not produced much milk and I only milked out a small amount the next day, but she was better in the afternoon. This morning she had a fever and I could tell not good and was not sure if milking would pull her down even more. She did not want her feed so I gave her gatoraide and plain yogurt. I knew I have to give her something so I gave her two tylanol?pm and one asprin. I know that it takes alot of asprin. The vet. said that he had given her enough antibiotics. He did put a bolis (not sure of the spelling) and it fell out while loading her. No he did not flush her out. :no: I so wish we had a better vet. in our area.I do have penicillin G procaine, BioMycin 200 (oxytetracycline injection) and Vit. B complex. I do have oxytetracycline in a powder form.
    She was much better this afternoon, but has a bad order from her rear. I know she needs help. Please tell me how to flush with oxytet. powder or the injection type? Or is it to late? Tuesday is when the vet. saw her. When and how much Penicillian to give and how often.
    She did eat a little grain this afternoon and I hauled lots of different things which she ate very good this afternoon. All this picking stuff for her to eat was done while tornado watches were out in our area. :( Goats didn't leave the barn. Rain most of the day.

I know I had alot of these med. save on the forum that went down and realize that I should have them down on paper and was putting them down. And will have if there is another time. Anyones help on the meds. will be appreciated.
    You know, this is the first yeat that I have fed alfalfa pellets and the girls always leave some behind. I felt that and their other feed would have been enough to keep her from having hypoclycemia? Thanks everyone. My girl is still not out of the woods.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

OK I sure don't know the answers and Vicki or someone else will know more but I do know that Vicki said in your other thread that she would have kept giving the CMYK So until you hear more get somemore of it in her.. Then call your vet in the AM and get the banamine. Ill go read somemore and see if she said anything abt the antibiotics.

3. Sondra Peterson

OK found a quote of Vicki on dosage of Penicillin

4. Al. Countryboy

Thanks Sondra, I did get the CMPK, from vet. but he said don't give, might cause milk fever. :no: Will give. Its a big tube. Not sure of the amount. Fios co Farm says to give penicillin G procaine at 1 ml. per. 15 lbs. (Vet. said that she was at least 150lbs.) twice a day. for up to 14 days and no less than 5 days. It said not to give pen. and oxytet. together, but figured they are talking about the oxytet. being injected not used to flush. I would think this solution would be sterile water with the oxytet. The power or the injectable? My wife the nurse is in Calf. with a death in her family and will not be back until Tuesday night. :( I am going to go out and see if I can give her the penicillin. Thanks for you help.

5. Al. Countryboy

That is a little different than fias, but will go with Vicki :worship: . Glad you put in about the probios. Am almost out. Hope yogurt will work also. She did seen to pick up quite alot this morning after the gatorade and yogurt was given to her.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I do hope everything goes well with your doe.

This is off-topic, but a good question for me to ask - before I get my goats:
    Which vet do you use? I'm familiar with several in the Pell City area.

Thanks
    Robert

7. Sondra Peterson

Cowboy you need to read the WHOLE article by Sue Reith on www.saanendoah.com re: hypocalcaemia another dr. quoted there states that Milk Fever is cause by hypocalcaemia.
    So VICKI does know and this goat needs the CMYK and I think but cant remember for sure but that stuff you have in the tube is very very nasty tasting and you delute it with something to syringe it down her. PM VICKI if she doesn't get on here soon.

Also don't forget with the antibiotics you need to give her B1 or BComplex and probios while given the meds. Yogurt will work but takes more of it. Go get you some PROBIOS powder in the horse section of the feed store much cheaper and easier to use. I mix it with warm water and syringe in when they aren't eating good and you can't mix it in the food knowing they will get it all.

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yes I would for sure continue her with the CMPK, I have no clue on how much of the gel, sorry. I only use the liquid, we give 60cc every 6 hours, and then I move down to 30cc twice a day, until they are 100%.

Is the fresh discharge coming out of her nasty smelling or is it because she needs a good cleaning? When she gets past the point of her keeping herself clean you have to step in, she can loose all the hair on her rump if you don't clean it up. Once clean put some salve on her, preperation H for her vulva will bring the swelling down. I keep a spary bottle of mineral oil or even corn oil to spray on them once they are clean, this keeps cleaning from milking to milking at a minimum.

You don't milk a doe in milkfever, it further pulls the calcium out of her system, an udder full of milk lets the doe absorb back some of the calcium her body is making. Most does in milkfever will not be milking squat anyway, so leave her alone until she comes back into milk, and she will.

Yes I would use the penicillin, 3cc per 50 pounds so give her 9 cc...under the skin, twice a day. I would also take her temp. After the 3rd shot if she is not running a temp than I would go down to 1 shot a day but continue for the whole 10 days. Penicillin isn't good for much but it's wonderful for this application after kidding for uterine infection and the keeping of uterine infection away.

It's too late to clean her uterus, all you would be doing is flooding the vagina and it would do not good. A bolus simply doesn't have enough fluid in a doe, compared to the huge uterus of a cow to absorb, we used to dissolve them and inject them in our goats. They do work well (the urea ones) for quickly cleaning them out. In the future just use a good pinch of your powdered oxytetracycline, or 10cc of your injectable in a 60cc syringe of sterile water, thread some aqaurium tubing up into her a pretty good ways, at least as high as your arm is long, and dose. You don't inject tet and pen, but using tet in and udder or uterus and pen under the skin is not the same thing and do not counteract each other.

Just reread your post again and it said she had a fever this morning, so continue the twice a day penicillins, and get that vet to give you some Banamine. It will bring her fever down, which will make her feel better, it will take the edge off the pain, which will make her feel better and it will help with the swelling, which will make her feel better :) 1cc per 100 pounds, you can give her 1cc in the morning and 1cc at night also, or the whole 1 and 1/2 cc at one time. Don't overdo the Banamine or she will be in lala land and not be feeling good and eating.

Keep up all the other good work you are doing, tempting her with good stuff to eat, Probios, yogurt, gatoraide in her water..all gals appreciate sugar! Vicki

9. Sondra Peterson

Tango I think it was stated earlier