Thanks to all

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shasta, May 8, 2004.

1. shasta

shasta Member

Thanks to everyone for the information. New Jersey is getting a bit expensive and my taxes are going up again, as usual. I have a horse and one acre and could never afford anything more than that here. It seems that there isn't enough time to take in a deep breath here. It is crazy!

I am pretty sure about the move though. But I have to admit it is a little scary but exciting at the same time.

shasta

PS My horse comes with me of course.

2. JessicaCat

JessicaCat Well-Known Member

Shasta,

Where abouts in NJ are you from? I lived in Toms River growing up, then in Laurence Harbor when I met my husband. We now live here in western PA.

My mother, no matter what I saw, will always hope that we move back to NJ. NEVER HAPPEN! My mother in law who lives in Laurence Harbor has I think a little under one acre, not sure. She has a total of 5 lots put together. Her property taxes alone are $5,000 a year. Food prices, even before now, were outrageous. When we started looking to move 5 years ago, no realtor would look at me because I was only making $8 an hour. I needed to make double that to even get them to talk to me.

I went out to visit my family back in March, and man, within the year an a half since I went out there, the population growth has gotten worse. Its like taking a private defensive driving course!

I wish you good luck on your move. We are looking to move also, not sure where though. We have also looked at Missouri since my husband has a cousin out there, but we are also looking at South Dakota, still need to look into that. But good luck in your move, trust me, you wont regret leaving NJ :)

JessicaCat

3. shasta

shasta Member

Hi JessicaCat,

Right now I live in a small town, but getting more congested all the time, called Monroeville in south jersey Salem county. I know where Toms River is located.

Jersey is getting worse every year. The farm land is sold and devolpments of big houses are taken their place. These houses are on postage stamp size lots and the some of these houses are going in the 250,00 to 350,000 range and they all look the same.

The traffic is getting worse all the time also.

Where do you live now?

shasta

4. JessicaCat

JessicaCat Well-Known Member

We are living here in western PA about a half hour from Punxsutawney. We are hoping to be able to move this year if we find a decent piece of property for a decent price.

I love being here in the mountains, especially since we both love the snow, but I think I've had enough snow and want somewhere where I can have a garden a little longer than 3-4 months out of the year. :) We got lucky this year and I was able to start my garden the beginning of May instead of the beginning of June.

I love it here, but Im ready for some acreage :)

JessicaCat

5. shasta

shasta Member

I know the feeling about wanting some land. Down here in Jersey it is too expensive. Snow is lovely but since I am fifty I prefer photos of the white stuff!

shasta