Thanks Monsato!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by electronrider, Dec 20, 2006.

1. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

I'm guessing Monsanto developed it to put the little producer out of business, just like everything else they do. Just another part of Corporate America's plan, like spreading Mad Cow and Avian Influenza among the free ranging un-chipped renegade animals raised by the ever-threatening 10 acre Homesteads. Join me in my boycott, I'm refusing to put my return address on any letters so the government won't be able to locate my premise. I've lined my ball cap with aluminum foil so the spy satellites can't read my thoughts. I'm supporting myself thru an internet black market for organic Pony steaks.

2. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

What is wrong with that?

And did you know that the highest cultivated CASH Crop here in the USA IS marijuana~!!. Eclipsing Wheat and Corn Combined??? In CASH VALUE ~!

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I don't know WHO GM'ed it, but you can be sure it wasn't a bunch of Mexican MJ farmers... someone is behind with money, research facilities and lots of knowledge.

4. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I consider 'Monsanto' to be a cuss word.

lol

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Have none of you--read of the research labs the drug lords operate? In a lot of raids often a research lab is spoken of as having been destroyed.

Monsanto creating super marijuana, I think not.

6. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

Well of course not windy, just thought to lighten things up in here a little bit. Sometimes things get a little overly paranoid around here. It's hard to say where or who developed this plant, or even if good old mother nature did its thing once again. Do some reading on the evil marijuana plant, aside from getting you stoned, it has about a gazillion useful purposes. everything from fiber board that is considerably stronger than its plywood equivilent, to food made from the very high protein seed it produces.

Haypoint: Viva la revolution!

7. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

What has caused the posting about Monsanto lately. Seems like there are several threads with their name in the headline but without any info about them or any relation to the reas of the thread.
    What happened, did monsanto fire someone?

8. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

Many of the issues can be read here Organic Consumers

9. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

But what has monsanto had to do with the last several post with their name in the headline. One about a weed and the other about marijuana. I do not see the connection.

10. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Pancho, Monsanto is kept busy covering all of the mistakes that the ignorant public caused. The latest is the purchase of Burpee by Seminis. For over 25 years, small wannabe seed companies have been trying to put the big ones out of business. Surprise, surprise, it worked! There's been a number of companies which had a choice between bankruptcy or allow someone else to take over management. Of course, the first thing that everyone hears is how the new owners are going to destroy all of the stock and replace it with there own. One of the biggest American seed suppliers was Petoseed. That was founded by one guy buying up a lot of little companies. One could not hate him since I think that he was a Mexican immigrant. When that guy got in debt big enough, he was going to shut the doors. Probably 90% of the hybrid tomato seeds were going out with him. Seminis had enough money to buy him out. Oh God! With Seminis being owned by Monsanto, there goes all of the years of great hybrids and the entire "heirloom" stock! Still looking for the first extinction caused by that merger! Of course, all of that info is easily available while the doomsday advocates are still digging and digging to find the slightest hint of their dire predictions.

Now we come to the present. Burpee can't compete with those companies who do not have a monster catalog and mailing expense. Those are the likes of NK, Ferry-Morse, American Seed Co, etc. who only deal with big box stores. They can put out a better product for a third of the price. Burpee took a look at the books and said that the company can no longer operate at a loss and nobody can force them to do so. To close would mean all employees hit the street and all the stock be sold to the highest bidder. Seminis said we'll take over and we're big enough that if we only break even, that's better than the alternative. So what are you going to see constantly now in the next few months? Boycott Burpee! I saw a reply on that on another forum today but I wonder if anyone got the same meaning as I did. 1 was to boycott Burpee. 2 was to bankrupt Burpee. 3 was have Burpee varieties discontinued due to lack of sales. 4 was to blame Monsanto!

It all boils down to having to look all the way back to 1975 when Seed Savers Exchange was formed. All big companies were "Satan" because each had their own particular varieties and if one didn't sell for a few years, there was no sane reason to keep worthless stock. SSE was one of the first pure open-pollinated companies. They did it by gleaning the best varieties from All other companies to offer. Many others were spawned from there. When their numbers began growing, each continued to campaign against the bigger companies. Well, they won! The bigger individual companies couldn't compete against an army of little dogs nipping at their heels and gave up. By good fortune, there was still a lot of money in he hands of people who are dedicated to feeding the world. When many small companies were sold and I heard so many people complaining about who bought them, I told them that anyone could have bought the company, including themselves.

So, the situation right now is that we're going to be hearing about all the dire results of Seminis grabbing Burpee just as they were going down the drain. It'll be great to see the doomsayers get all excited over nothing. Personally, I'll just enjoy watching them clamor over each other for attention and not worry about it one bit. I can't think of any other company than Monsanto to assure that my descendants will have food to eat. 'Nuff said!

Martin

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Because Monsanto is well known for their GE seeds and plants. This strain of marijuana has been GE'd.

The genetically engineered stuff is only viable for 3 or 4 seasons and can't produce seeds for future crops. Then the growers will wish they had the old standby plants back.

It could be propagated by cuttings if they have some saved back, but not by seeds.

12. mundamanu

mundamanu Well-Known Member

The connection between Monsanto and the marijuana was tongue-in-cheek. Note that the marijuana plant is referred to as a "hybrid" and "genetically improved." Hybridization does not necessarily imply genetic modification, in the sense of manually manipulating the genes, it usually means changing the genetic makeup of a plant through careful selection and breeding. It is likely that the parent generation of this hybrid were plants that were not killed by the government's herbicide applications.

The post about Monsanto and the weed had to do with the fact that Monsanto's answer to the plight of the industrial monocropping farmer's weed problems was genetically-modified "Round-Up ready" (glyphosate resistant) seed, the plants of which would not be killed by Round-up applications while the weeds would. However, as anybody with even a shred of evolutionary theory in their heads would have told them (which everybody who hasn't been bought by the industrial farming model did), eventually the weeds would genetically modify themselves (through generation after generation of selection of plants with a chance mutation that kept them from being killed) to become Round-Up ready, which is exactly what happened.

Right now, as far as I am aware, the only resistant weed is pigweed. However, it won't be long before there are more. So, rather than return to a diversified cropping model--as opposed to monocropping--that utilizes crop rotations and fallow periods (actually pasture and/or hay), which would do much more to help farmers combat weeds, the race to chemically and genetically fight weeds will be back on, which guarantees that the herbicide market continues to grow.

13. haypoint

This is some of the funnyiest stuff I've read in a while. Just the mention of Monsanto gets some people riled up. :flame: They are so quick to assume that if a naturally fast growing hardy plant becomes resistent to Round-Up, some evil corporation must be behind it. GM seed must be a part of an evil plot, 'cause you can't save seed after a few years. Hello. You can't save hybrid corn either and that's been available for 100 years. But I guess that's alright, 'cause the Indians did it. But if a corporation did it.... :shrug:
    We all need to be a bit more open minded. :angel: Not everything produced by a corporation is bad and not everything produced by a small farm is good. :nono: Some things seem bad to a person with a closed mind and many things are better choices in some situations. Take Round-Up Ready Corn. Very few are saving their seeds anyway, so that's really not an issue. If spraying the field kills more weeds than cultivation, increases yeild above cultivation, uses far less fuel than repeated cultivation, less trips across the field results in less soil compaction, then the farmer can better afford to pay his bills and raise a family, then it may be a better choice. I'd rather to see all farming done with horses and horse drawn equipment, but that isn't practical. :hobbyhors
    I'm interested in exploring any methods that can keep my farm profitable. Anyone have some seeds from those perennial MJ? I'd like to make some plywood. :p

14. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Dear Haypoint,

You have a strange sense of humor if you think this is all funny. I'm no expert and have a hard time arguing my point, at times. But agri-corporations scare the living daylights out of me.

The following article documents Percy Schmeiser's ordeal.:

http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/reprints/interview_schmeiser_jan02.pdf

Read it, then laugh.

Peace,
    doohap

15. haypoint

DooHap, you help me make my point. Just because something ends in "Corperation", you get your tail in the air. The world just isn't so easily defined. :nono: We hate to admit it, but there is good and evil in all things. There are some corperate farms that have efficient manure systems and there are some small farms where the livestock crap in the creek. There are some corperate farms where the animals are fed high quality balanced rations, free from chemical additives. There are some small operations where the animals are fed moldy hay, spoiled grain or overgrazed pastures.
    I don't know if people are just brainwashed or too lazy to research the facts, but closed minded paranoa will eventually put you out of business. Then how can you rally against the evil producers, big and small? :hobbyhors

16. doohap

Uh, excuse me. Did you really read the whole article? And so quickly?

I beg to differ with your analysis of me, describing me as panic-stricken. And it is exactly because "the world just isn't so easily defined" that I DO worry about the decisions and actions of any large entity. Large entities affect large numbers of people.

Peace,
    doohap

17. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

"Corperation"
    paranoa

bad spelling ...and all those stupid "smiles" should tell you something :dance: :hobbyhors :angel: :dance: :nono: :shrug: :help: :1pig:

18. doohap

Thanks, Bruce.

19. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

GASP... you mean, that it might be someone else posting under a different name???