Thanks for help with mastitis problem.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Just wanted to say thanks for your help with my doe that got mastitis on her right side. She appears to be fine now. I milked her out and used Today, the next day I milked her out and infused with another Today I waited 2 days and milked her out and infused with another Today. During this time I also gave her a shot of antibiotic for 3 days in a row. I then waited 4 days and milked her out, cleaned her teats really really well with alcohol pads and infused her (both sides) with Tomorrow. That was several days ago and she is drying up (finally) and her udder is soft and even.

Her body will absorb that Tomorrow and by the time she kids there shouldn't be any sign of it in the colostrom should there?

Cher is also the one that was letting the buck breed her but she kept coming back into heat. I am waiting to see if it stuck this time.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

That sounds good!! No the tomarrow won't show up in the colostrum.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually...there is a 72 hour hold out period on milk with cows that have been dry treated and the dry treatment of choice in this area is Tomorrow. So I would assume the same would go for the goats. There is some residue with the Tomorrow and it would show up in the colostrum. This is why some farms are so cautious with their dry animals. If you accidently milk a dry cow who has been treated you can contaminate the entire shipment of milk. If we dry treat (which we don't do very much any more) we wait six milkings (even if we are well past the 72 hour stage) before putting the milk in the tank. This does not stop the calves from getting that colostrum though.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Once the antibitotic is absorbed into the udder tissue and goes through the blood stream the only thing you may detect in the colostrum is some soybean oil. Vicki