Thankful Homesteader

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shepherd, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Well we've been getting our 'ranch' set up for 7 years now and we're amazed how much we've been able to accomplish in that length of time. But all of this was possible only through us both working FT outside of the home and putting in some long, hard hours during what little time we were home... and doing without a lot of things for many years so we could save every dime possible.

This is the first time we have had 3 freezers full of meat. One with beef, one with pork and one with chickens (actually so many we had to rent a locker at the meat market for most of them)... all of which we raised ourselves. I have cases upon cases of canned foods I've canned myself and many cases of vegetables I've gotten on sale 4 cans for $1. I have literally hundreds upon hundreds of canning jars boxed up in the barn that I've acquired through the years from people who didn't want them for one reason or another.

Our orchard is growing and we keep adding more fruit trees and bushes to it; meanwhile we have a lot of wild fruit and nuts here. Our land is filled with deer and wild turkey, geese, rabbit, etc. We have our chickens for poultry and fresh eggs and altho I hope to get some dairy goats, our neighbors have some and there's a small dairy farm down the road. Another neighbor has honey bees.

Yesterday there was a ABC marathon with the show about Extreme Home Makeovers (not sure of the exact name). I was watching it while working around the house, and it brought me to tears to see what they did for people who had lost everything or who were in dire straights over one crisis or another. It made me feel enormously blessed for the things we have, even tho we have our own needs.

I guess it was a good day of reflection and thankfulness for me. This is one homesteader giving thanks to the Lord for all His blessings to us and for letting us be caretakers of the land we have.

2. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

You might also want to give thanks to two people who worked 16+ hours a day to get ahead so they wouldn't have to depend on handouts. My hat is off to you. ;)

3. sssarawolf

sssarawolf Well-Known Member

Yes you sure have worked hard to get where you are today Shep, our hat is off to you. :) :clap: :clap:

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Good,hard work paying off. Sounds like you've done a great job.