Thank you

Discussion in 'Goats' started by anna, Mar 8, 2005.

1. anna

anna Member

Thank you to everyone for the advice. My mommy had 2 kids. Sad to say one was stillborn, but we now have a beautiful baby girl who is doing very well.
    It is cold here right now so they are locked in a stall in my barn, if it's nice out I let them out in the yard. Is it bad they are not getting alot of exercise?
    I was also wondering if anyone could tell me how soon I can breed the female again and how I can tell she is in heat? I think we should wait till the end of this year or begining of next, but my husband wants to do it sooner. I have decided to keep my male out of the pen until I want my female to get pregnate again. But I'm not quite sure how to tell she is in heat.
    Thank you for any advice. Have a great day:)

Anna

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

hi anna,
    congrats to your little doeling. it is a great idea to wait till end of year to breed mommy again. also to keep the buck separate from her is very good. what kind of goat do you have?
    most of the goats are flagging their tail when they are in heat.
    susanne

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

if your doe is a pet, breed her so she only has kids once a year. she'll live longer. to tell if she's in heat, use a buck rag. take and old peice of cloth and rubb it for a while on the bucks head. seal it into a plastic baggie and show it to her when you think she goes into heat. She should act funny, like letting you touch her tail without flinching, and "talking" more. also, don't put the buck in with her untill you want her bred, especially with her new kid. by the way, goats can have abortions by being butted to hard by another goat, and may be the reason for your one kid being stillborn.

4. anna

anna Member

We have pygmys. The boy is seperate but his pen is right next to hers so they can still see each other and "talk".