Thank You on Bandsaw Help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Thank you to whoever in a past thread on bandsaw usage said to put a weight on the end of the top to increase cutting. I had been changing blades when they became too dull to cut effectively. This weekend I needed to cut a bunch of 4" thick wall pipe and decided to try one of the old (dull) blades with weights. Cut through like a new one. I expect to greatly extend the use of each blade with this. I'll now use them until they either break or just flat out won't cut even with the extra weight.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Im lost,can you explain what youre talking about?
    BooBoo

3. Ken Scharabok

In a past thread I was getting advice on some problems I was having with my Taiwan-import bandsaw. One poster noted you can increase the cutting ability by adding weight to the end of the head. I was able to get additional usage out of some blades I had put to the side as they were too dull to cut efficiently. The weight forces the blade down on the metal. Just a way to get a bit more usage out of a blade.

4. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Ken, I'm not with you either .... is it a "band" saw or a scroll saw? If the blade is a hoop, how would weight help and where do you put it? I would like to get more wear out of mine too .....

5. Ken Scharabok

This is a bandsaw with the hinged arm which holds the circular blade. It is normally sort of evenly balanced to where the pressure of the upper arm presses the bandsaw blade down on the metal being cut just a bit. (Oops - now realize I should have said metal cutting bandsaw). Adding weight to the end of this arm increases the pressure on the blade as it cuts through the metal.

Use one blade like this until it broke, but it had cut a bunch of 4" thick wall pipe first. My fault in that I didn't have the pipe being cut secure enough and it jammed the blade. Use a second one, but it drifted/cut at an angle, rather than straight. I suspect the first blade was of higher quality than the second.

And I do use this metal cutting bandsaw for some board cutting. Actually does a rather nice job of it. The most dangerous tool I have in the shop is the radial arm saw! I just don't like to use it unless I have to.