THANK YOU meth labs!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Slev, May 6, 2006.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

Man, I've looked all over for some lye so my wife can continue making lye soap, but looks like THANKS to all the meth labs out there, everyone has taken that stuff off the market. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHERE A "NON-DRUG MAKING" person can buy some lye for making soap??????

thanks

2. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

I was reading somewhere how to make lye, it's really easy. I'll see if I can find the info again and post it.

3. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Lowes home improvement store has real pure lye. I have gone through the same problem and found mine at Lowes. see posts in the cooking-crafts forum as finding lye is a constant question since meth became the problem it is. You can also buy large quantities from most any chemical supply.

Making lye isn't as much a problem as controlling or knowing the strength of the lye you've made. In soap making you need accurate measurement of the correct strength lye so you don't make the soap old timers would say "granny's soap would take the hide off of you" about.

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure many of the soap making suppiers online could supply what you need. Just do a search.

6. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

Don't know if you have ACE Hardware where you are, but that's where I found mine. I haven't looked yet, but I also heard Lowe's still carries it too. You could try the smaller hardware stores, family owned, etc. too.

I also read recently that you can contact local chemical suppliers and buy in bulk.

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I found my supplier by looking under Chemicals in the yellow pages.

8. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

I bought my last lye at Lowes. The brand is Roebic and it comes in 2 lb. containers. I plan on stocking up. I bet it won't be long and we won't be able to buy it at all. All my regular places quit handling it.

9. djb473

djb473 Well-Known Member

lowes or home depot makes a real good drain cleaner

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Don't just buy drain cleaner they are not pure lye and won't work for making soap. Check the label or call the company to be sure you are getting pure lye.

11. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I get my lye from brambleberry.com I know some folks get lye from Boyer (you'll have to google for this url). I believe thesoapdish.com also carries lye, but I'm not positive about that.

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

You're having that with all sorts of innocent products.
    Amongh other things:
    Lye
    Lithium Batteries
    Cold Medicines
    Coleman Fuel
    Laboratory Glassware
    Plastic Tubing
    Hot Plates
    Distilled Water
    Coolers
    Empty Propane Tanks
    even Coffee Filters

Have any of those products in your home? Guess what. You own a meth lab. You own precoursers. They can arrest you, put you in prison, seize you home, take away your children and sieze your homestead. Doesn't matter if you intended anything. You have it. that is intent.

Do I blame the meth cooks? Nope. I blame the idiots who passed the laws to fight some unwinnable war they've been fighting for how long now? A century?

Go buy grow lights and heating mats for garden seedlings. That gets to marked for an indoor grow operation.

13. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Oh for crying out loud Quint, stop with the hysterics. Owning distilled water, propane tanks, or coffee filters is not going to get you arrested.

Well, maybe YOU arrested.... but nobody else.

14. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

The list of controlled items is getting longer everyday. My sons insulin pumps uses lithium batteries like the kind you put in a camera. We always keep a spare set. Well when we put the spare set in at about 9pm they werent any gaood and set his alarm off about ten pm or so. We drove to wal mart 25 miles away. its a super center and open 24 hours. We approached the camera sectiuon to find the batteries that contain lithium are now kept behind the counter. I finally found an associate and asked for the batteries. The manager on nioght duty came over and gave me a list of questions he asked me. He said it was odd I was there so late at night and also wanting three packs at once. I showed him the insulin pump and the alarm reading LOW BATTERY. Took the batteries out and showed him. He would still only sell me one pack. Treated me like a danged junkie. Needless to say Im banned form the Jasper Wal Mart

15. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Geeeesh.... Is that why they have cameras mounted above the those section at stores? :rolleyes:
    It's comments and beliefs like this that cover and disguise real problems in our country......mountain outta of mole hill .... :hobbyhors FIX Bayonets!!!!!
    get real.....
    As for LYE, blame the Lewis Corporation for pulling RED DEVIL from the shelves for not understanding that not every lye purchase added to the meth problem.... and maybe even believing comments like the above.

Actually it's not used to make it....it's used to nutralize meth once it's already made.

Slev, There are probably many pro soap makers around your area, do a search and start asking them, I'm sure you would find one that buys in bulk that is willing to sell smaller amounts. I sell it to locals in my area for soap making all the time, I just don't ship it.
    You can also try the Boyer corp. They are in IL too.
    The Boyer Corporation P.O. Box 10, La Grange, IL 60525 http://www.boyercorporation.com

16. deb

deb Well-Known Member

The Chemistry Store sells lye and much more!
    http://www.chemistrystore.com/

You can make your own lye, but making it the right strength batch after batch is harder. You'll find your soap batches are more consistant with commercial lye.

deb
    in wi

17. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

This is the brand most folks that we've talked to are using now. It's the Red Devil replacement .....

18. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Quint,
    You ARE right on this point .... we can only blame the idiots that come up with bills and then pass laws without using the brain in their heads. It's all of our fault in the end ... we do elect them.

19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I've known people charged, arrested and convicted for the crime of owning a wire. It's prima facia proof that you're illegally poaching around here. Never mind that they weren't poaching, possession of a wire was proof enough.

Think it's hysterics all you want, some of us have watched it, or been victims of it ourselves.

20. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I've bought lye at both ace and true value hardware stores.

R.e. - meth lab products, don't stock up on strike anywhere kitchen matches either. Got pulled over once for buying four big boxes of those. Regular matches don't seem to be a problem though?