Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone who has kindly and patiently answered my "newbie" questions regarding goats, THANK YOU. :worship: You guys could have made fun of me (and all of the other newbies,) but you have been supportive and willing to share your knowledge. As a result, you have all made this process so much less frightening. I'm actually starting to believe I might learn to take care of my goats without killing them by accident or pulling my hair out :haha:
Karen and Kids

·
Legally blonde!
3,318 Posts
Its nice to see somebody else starting to get into goats. Everybody has been in your shoes one time or another..meaning to say everybody on this forum was a newbie at one time. Its hard for me to believe that just a little over a year ago I got my first goat..and was making all the newbie mistakes and learning. Now I have aprox. 16 goats and am starting to breed la manchas, mini manchas, and boers. But I was lucky...I got to work for a gal who has bred goats for almost 20 years so I learned a lot from her and we are still great friends..I am also good friends with her son not to mention they live 15 minutes away from me :) .

Just remember no question is ever stupid if it is important to the person asking it.

MotherClucker
ps: You are doing better than I did at first! My first goat got alfalfa and free choice grain the first week that I had her..intill I learned better :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
We've all been newbies at one point. When I got my first 2 I hovered and fussed over them constantly, then I figured out that I was making them fat and they were playing me for all the attention they could. Now I just make sure I'm seeing shiny hair, bright eyes, and dry noses. As long as the little one is putting on some good growth I figure I'm doing fine. As long as they're both getting into all sorts of "interesting" trouble I figure they're happy and healthy. When one of them is actually behaving themselves is when I start to worry.

When you get more used to the critters everything sort of falls into place. And as you get them through various ailments, things become much more routine.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I had read that goats should be kept a little on the thin side. So, one morning a few months after I brought home the first few goats, I commented to my son that we needed to cut down Callie Jean's feed a little, because I noticed she appeared very slightly plump. That evening, right on cue with the first cold front of the fall, she surprised us with two gorgeous doe kids. I had no idea she was even bred :eek: and quickly did the math to determine that I'd bought her one month bred, unbeknownst to me or the seller. lol.
You'll make a few mistakes, and have a few surprises, but it'll be a lot of fun.
mary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts