Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out later than normal today to let the birds out of the coop (trying to train them to lay there) and found the heat lamp sitting down on the wood of the brooder area! The chicks were fine as was the wood but it did smell extra warm. I lazily asked DGGB to go out last night and close the coop and make sure the light was on for the chicks....shame on me!

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's DGGB?
I once had a similar experience when using stoves to brood. But thank God I was there at midnight when one stove caught fire. Very risky.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I had a heat lamp fall into a brooding box last year. It never actually flamed up, but had smouldered for quite a while, to the point the shavings had burnt and had burnt a 4 inch hole in the OSB brooding box.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That is some scary stuff! Curious to know how the lamp got onto the top of the brooder, and how you'll make sure it doesn't happen again. Might be able to help somebody else stay out of trouble.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
I believe that the common brooder lamps (the cheap ones) available at most farm & feed stores are a disaster waiting to happen. Had a barn fire of my own once, due to a fallen brooder lamp - crappy clamp!
These days I will only use the following. Pricey, but well worth the peace of mind!

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=131924&cat_id=132

Reactions: Ceilismom

·
Registered
512 Posts
I believe that the common brooder lamps (the cheap ones) available at most farm & feed stores are a disaster waiting to happen. Had a barn fire of my own once, due to a fallen brooder lamp - crappy clamp!
These days I will only use the following. Pricey, but well worth the peace of mind!

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=131924&cat_id=132
I went through several of the common cheap lamps over the past few years, but having read a few stories of coop and barn fires (MIL even lost a small barn full of lambs many years ago from a brooder lamp), they just scare me. I ponied up the cash for this same lamp, and a safer, more expensive bulb, last spring because I just did not want to risk cooked chicks or a barn fire.

Reactions: nehimama

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I use the cheap ones, I have a chain wired on to the clap as well as the ceramic stem then to a screwed in board then extra screws to toe nail the chain in, no way it will fall but you do need to check to make sure the bulb is tight every so often. with my brooder I have a wire top on that so the lamp is set ontop the wire no way it can fall in, on the bigger brooder box I use the chain deal as above.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I prefer to skip the premiere model above and go right to the right tool for the job.
http://www.strombergschickens.com/p...er-for-brooder-or-space-heating/area-brooders

In other applications, secure mounting, as mentioned above, is a necessity. I never use anything over a 125 watt bulb. The 250 watt bulbs will explode and rain super hot glass down onto the bedding below, no matter how much you pay for a receptacle. For small batches of chicks a 100 watt incandescent bulb in a small enclosure is more than enough heat.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use the cheap ones from a local farm supply store. I use 3 strategically placed along a 6' strip of brooding space. All 3 are plugged into an outlet that is attached to the roofing rafter and all 3 chords are anchored at that point as well as at the point where they each come in contact with the roost. (This brooder is a regular chicken house when not used as a brooder.) Then I attach extra wires to the lamp itself and anchor it for a 2nd time to the roost, which is just above each one. This way, there is no way any of the 3 can fall; and I can raise each one as the chickens grow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts