Thank God for my dogs!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hisenthlay, Nov 11, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I think my dogs just stopped a potential break-in (or worse :( ).

My neighborhood isn't the safest. I'm a young woman, and I'm home alone tonight, which is unusual. I was just now sitting at the computer, and I heard some guys yelling and cursing at each other in the street. I turned off the lights and looked out the window, and saw 3 big teenage guys I don't know coming up into my yard. One came up on the porch, and two went around either side of the house towards the backyard. There were three more guys standing in the street, watching the 3 who came up to the house.

I opened the window and said in my meanest voice, "hey, what are you doing?" No response. My 3 dogs were standing with me, watching me to see what to do. Then the guy on the porch rang the doorbell. All three dogs tore downstairs, began barking, growling, and throwing themselves at the windows and doors. They were smart enough to run to the sides of the house and the back, too, and bark at the guys there. The three guys by the house went back to the street, talked to the other guys, and they all split up and went different directions. Nothing seems to have been stolen from outside.

I called the cops while the dogs were barking, but of course the guys were gone by the time they came. They said I was smart not to answer the door, though. There's a common scam where one person knocks on the door and talks to you to distract you, and others go around back to break in and rob you or much, much worse. The front guy is nice and respectable looking, the back guys are often armed.

So, this is a tribute to my furry everyday heroes--215 collective pounds of love, fun, footwarming, and serious protection :clap: :
    [​IMG]

And the real star of the night was my Dobe mix, who has the meanest bark, can make this face on command, and do a lot worse if she's actually mad :viking: --you don't want to be on the wrong end of those teeth!
    [​IMG]

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I'm glad you are safe,
    and I'd not argue with that doggie either...

Give them an extra pat and dog treat for being good watchdogs...

Angie

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

nice looking teeth there...should scare most of the crazies....

Hope your current residence is just temporary...

4. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Whew! I got chills & shivers up & down my spine just reading your post. I'm glad your dogs turned the guys away. They surely weren't up to any good. Extra treats & hugs to your guardians tonight!

NeHi Mama

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Oh My Gosh, I am so glad you are all right. That is pretty scary! Your dogs have earned a special treat for sure.

hollym

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Go buy yourself a shotgun\pistol and become proficient with it . Thank goodness you're OK . fordy... :)

7. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Dogs Rule.
    Nice crew you have there.

8. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I am so glad for you!

When I lived in Phoenix, my truck was stollen out of my carport in the middle of the night. My dog's barking woke me up.

Never before or since have I heard that type of bark from him.

I believe they are very sensitive to their environment and 'Know'.

You've got some great protectors there.

9. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

she's so CUTE! :)

Now go buy a damn shotgun!!!

ps what is she mixed with?

10. heather

heather Well-Known Member

you have beautiful dogs - in more ways than one!
    Glad to hear you're okay -

11. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Thanks, everyone. I've been trembly all night, ever since it happened. Have to be pretty stupid/crazy to break in after you see those pearly whites at the window, though. Apparently those guys thought so, at least. ;) And of course this had to happen on the one night my fiancee happens to be away.

They ARE great dogs. And they're all getting some special treats and hugs tonight.

This IS a temporary location for us. We'll be out as soon as we can, hopefully the end of next year. Someone tried to break into the garage last week, too--no dogs to guard that, since it's not attached to the house. They smashed the lock up pretty good, but they couldn't bust it open. I just talked to the neighbor, and we're probably going to install motion sensors with lights and maybe videos around our houses.

I don't know what she's mixed with--she might be all dobe, or she might be mixed with something a little stockier like a lab, shepherd, or even pit. She's dobie sized, though--about 25" tall at the withers, and 85lbs. Dobies are my #1 choice of house dog for the future. Smart, snuggly, obedient, low shedding, and scary to the bad guys!

I don't think I'd want to brandish a gun in this neighborhood--I get the impression that too many truly scary people carry concealed weapons around here, and the last thing I want is for them to feel like they ought to pull it out and start shooting. I'm pretty sure I'd lose in a shoot-out. The cops are fast enough here (10-20 minutes) that I'd rather make my house hard to get into (with locks, dogs, alarms, lights) and wait for the cops to show up. I'm considering getting a gun, but even if I had one, I wouldn't want the macho aggressive nutjobs with nothing to lose around here to know that I've upped the stakes on them. Worst case scenario, I'd probably just hide in a dark room with the gun and wait for the bad guys to come to me. If they got past the angry dogs and the locked door of the room I was in, I'd know it was time to start using the gun. It's sad that I've had to think out this scenario, but that's what it's coming to around here. :( We've already decided to get a gun when we move out of the city, though--my fiancee grew up using a .22 around the farm, but I've never even touched a gun. I'll have to get some serious training, of course!

I really appreciate your support tonight!

12. Paranoid

you dont "brandish" a shotgun or any gun for that matter. If someone pops his head in, you point it at said head and destroy it. guns are not for show, keep them out of sight until needed.

I agree with the dobe statement, such sweethearts, but they sure do have a protective streak, and the bark is about as distinctive as they get.

13. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

hisenthlay,

Don't know if it's much help, but in that type of neighborhood there's two types of people who don't get "bothered"....they tend to leave crazy people and bikers alone. Crazy is fun.

Mon

14. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Oh My. I'm glad that your Dogs were able to scare them off. I always feel safer with our Dog around.

15. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Man, that is a frightening ordeal and I'm thrilled you have such protective dogs. I agree with Fordy - get a gun hon... and learn how to use it. You don't advertise it... you only pull it out when it's needed and then shoot toward the largest mass (chest/belly) if someone breaks in. There are to many sickos around in this world.

Definitely get some motion detector lights if you can and get to know your neighbors so you can all watch each other's back. Get out of that neighborhood asap.

16. Paranoid

some people dont buy a gun because they feel it is too final a solution to the problem they perceive they might face.

some feel it attracts negative forces.

some are turned off by the price (low as it may be for shotguns).

I tell you though, the night could have turned out very different. Dogs are just dogs, and unless they have had real combat training (i doubt many people here went that route, i sure didnt) most likely the perp that forces entry can lay it out cold with a steel toed boot to the head.

i guarentee in that situation, with you on the ground and 1 guy going to town and 5 more waiting for their turn, you would gladly pay the price for a good firearm.

it truly is better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

17. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I am sure glad you had your dogs, but call some one to stay the rest of the night with you. get a gun now. and move out of that neighborhood, fast!!!!!!!!they have you pegged, as youg, pretty, and they probably won't leave you alone. so getsome one else in that house, and a gun, asap, then move, as soon as you can. take care , and be careful.

18. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Gotta love dogs!!! So glad your safe!!!!!!!

Is the one on the right a Bernese Mountian dog? Nice dogs. :)

Kaza

19. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I am so glad you had your best friends with you. I always thought if George Harrison would have had some best friends like yours he wouldn't have been stabbed.

20. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that your dogs managed to deter them this time,but you should seriously consider getting a gun. Those guys may have thought that you were an easy mark & the dogs may have changed their mind, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. It's good that you keep them inside with you because that's where they needed to be to protect you. I have to wonder about the yelling in the street before they approached the house. That doesn't sound much like the MO of burglars or home invaders. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago & it turned out that the punks were at the wrong house, & they found out just how mistaken they were when they were confronted by an angry old ex-paratrooper with a 12ga. shotgun & my barking dogs.They were required to stay untill the police arrived, drugs & handguns were found, & they were arrested. It seems that it was some kind of teenage gang dispute & they came to the wrong house. Dogs are a great alarm system & a deterent, but they shouldn't be your only defense. Get a gun. Learn how to use it. Good luck & stay safe!