texas bunnies need a fan......

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by texastami, May 23, 2005.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

we have two 12 week old NZ cross bunnies... We haven't ever had rabbits in the TX heat before... I am scared that we will lose them to heat stroke or something like that... we are well into the HIGH 90's (98 today) and with our humidity, it will get ALOT worse...

We have built them a very nice hutch, put it next to the fence for shade (gets no DIRECT sunlight on it) and I put an old fan on the outside of it running on LOW to give them direct air flow.... in addition to 2L water bottles and daily ice bottles to snuggle up to.... I am hoping they will be ok....

My question is, the fan won't give them the sniffles/a cold or anythign like that will it??? I won't leave it run 24/7, just during the heat of the day 10a-6p - (Their pens are 30x36 each and the fan hangs in the front _____ I ____ situated on the I part to blow 1/2 in one pen and 1/2 in the other.... ) I just don't want to make them SICK....

I appreciate your help!!

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Most of the breeders I know here in NC leave a fan running 24/7 year round. I have one starting in April, until it cools off, but it is 24/7. Now, I raise French Angoras, and so do most of the breeders I know. The rest are lop folks, and those also have people in the 24/7/365 camp.

Pat will be able to give you a better idea of what's needed.

Good luck
    Meg

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy tami....i aint far from ya..in arkansas right on the texas border so our weather is about the same....I have had rabbits all my life and while yes it does get really hot i dont use a fan at all...i give ice bottles as you said and ice water on really hot days a few times a day....i have a large freezer so i just take milk jugs fill them up let them freeze...I have my bunnies outside with a tarp over hutches for shade...i have yet to loose a rabbit to heat stroke but hate to see them get hot...i also use freeze packs the kind ya get at walmart or ya get when ordering meds online...i take these let them freeze and wire them to the outside of cage this way the bunnies cant chew them but can lay agaist that side of the cage if they wish to cool off as sometimes they like to chew on the bottles of ice ...i also will give a few ice cubes in the feed bowls for them to lick on....hope this helps dale anne

4. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Meg, (I tried to PM you but your inbox was full)

I just noticed that you are from NC. I did some quick checking in your old posts and saw that you were in the Fayetteville area as well. I am located just outside Hope Mills. I thought I'd post a quick message to let you know I was in the area in case there was any trade or help we could offer each other. Seems I always need to order 50lbs of something when I only want 25, or 20 chickens when I only want 10. Or as in the case of rabbits, I'm looking for a couple more good does for meat rabbits. I thought you might know of a local source. (since I think most of your rabbits are less meat oriented ... just by what I gathered from a quick browse of your posts)

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello, introduce myself and let you know I was in the area.

Take care,

Joe

5. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

The illnesses are caused by a bacteria and/or a virus and not
    from having a fan blowing on them.

Heat is particularly deadly for does about to kindle. Be especially
    attentive if you intend to breed.

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com/forums/

6. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

I used to use milk jugs and my rabbits chewed them up. Switched over to 2 liter pop bottles and they play with them, but haven't had any problem with them chewing holes in them. The freeze packs on the outside is a great idea. In answer to the first question, I always have heard that a fan can be used to circulate air, but should not be blowing directly on the rabbits.

7. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

Hi Tami,
    We are in TX also (40 miles N. of Houston).
    We have kept Champagnes for several years and have not lost any in the heat (or ever except to culling).

Keep a fan on at all times---aim it either just above or just below the cages---they can literally cook from hot air blowing on them (per an older, wiser breeder we met that had lost some this way).

Our fans blow under the cages, they get ice in bowls and if it is really hot I will go out and wet their ears.

They won't get sick from the fans or the water; bacteria and viruses from new rabbits could make them sick, so if you get new rabbits isolate them away from the main hutch for a few days to see how healthy they are.

Best wishes,
    Liz