Texas Ag Exempt

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My sister lives in Texas and just bought a small homestead. She called about the ag exemption and was told she needed at least 3 cow/calf units. The person she spoke with wasn't very helpful about explanations. She plans on having one smallish dairy cow, but wants horses and a donkey too. Does anybody know what the equivalents are? Is there any provision for poultry? I'm talking a good sized breeding flock and possibly some meat birds, not 3 or 4 hens in the yard.

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

It can also be plants not just livestock. I don't know- they never told us a minimum- I left my pasture fallow for a year and they squawked (there's a word I love) but with affidavits from prior owners it had been in ag use for 6/7 prior years so it was allowed (not following the bible on THAT one). After that I had some sheep- a lot less than most people who supplemental feed- and on another 1.5 acre had very few poultry (much less than the land could hold) but also a peach orchard.

I would hope if she cites why she is farming that way- no suppl feed, using some of land to grow feed? they should permit her just so she's not just not actually using the land for ag, and remember the penalty! back taxes for a few years!

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

4. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

i am not sure.. but i think ten goats is equal to the three cows.. and Texas pays you to have goats, because they eat the weeds the cows dont eat.. and especially one weed that spreads over everything.. but I dont remember what it is.

Lynn in Nevada

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Thanks, I passed the info along to my sister.

How do you get paid to have goats? Tho you would HAVE to pay me to keep them and it wouldn't be cheap.