Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

AUSTIN, Texas — The Electric Reliability Council of Texas has been directed by the State of Texas to "correct" the price of energy in order to reflect the scarcity of the supply caused by the winter storm.

In other words, the Public Utility Commission of Texas is ordering ERCOT to adjust prices as demand for energy has exceeded the supply that utilities have the ability to genrate.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Many of you just do not understand. We build our homes for our normal, average climate. We dress for the climate we live in. Many of the things that you consider average aren’t even available or if they are, in a very limited supply. I grew up in Michigan. I know what “real” winters are like. But I couldn’t buy snow tires if I wanted to. There are a few long johns available in sporting goods stores for hunters, but sell out and the stores don’t get anymore. And the houses are built to keep them cool. If they were built for winter they couldn’t take our 90-100 degree summers. Telling us we should have winter plumbing is like telling you to all get central air in your homes in case your summer gets over 100. Most of those supplies are unavailable to us even if we wanted to do something else.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Several layers of many types of summer clothing and / or rain gear works pretty will in winter.

Homes insulated to stay cool in 90 degree weather can handle cold weather pretty well. Homes insulated for freezing weather can handle 90 degree weather even better. Generally speaking the main difference if the house it well built is the type of coating on the glass of the windows. Insulation is insulation.

Generally speaking national building code takes care of most issues caused by freezing. Frozen plumbing issues in homes are just a result of sloppy workmanship and inspection and I can understand how the warm weather has allowed it continue for a years. Sloppy workmanship results in plumbing issues here in North Central Oklahoma as well. It just gets noticed quicker. Houses without heat are going to have plumbing issues when its freezing regardless of location north or south.

The overall problem seems to be utility companies not prepared for the documented occasional cold weather that their going to get. Makes it pretty tough on the population when there are shortages of energy sources for heat.

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
Many of you just do not understand. We build our homes for our normal, average climate. We dress for the climate we live in. Many of the things that you consider average aren’t even available or if they are, in a very limited supply. I grew up in Michigan. I know what “real” winters are like. But I couldn’t buy snow tires if I wanted to. There are a few long johns available in sporting goods stores for hunters, but sell out and the stores don’t get anymore. And the houses are built to keep them cool. If they were built for winter they couldn’t take our 90-100 degree summers. Telling us we should have winter plumbing is like telling you to all get central air in your homes in case your summer gets over 100. Most of those supplies are unavailable to us even if we wanted to do something else.
I understand very well every August. My house is designed to keep heat in and when things hit +30C, it's HOT in my house.

My area had awful floods several years ago. They never happened before and it's unlikely to happen again, simply because it wasn't a single thing that caused the problem but if all those circumstances came together again, I would strongly suggest, we are not ready for another one because it's not possible to solve all the problems that arose.

We had areas that were without power and natural gas for weeks and in some cases, months.

·
Registered
106 Posts
those extra high bills are with a variable rate plan tied to the wholesale price. The house that averages $100 and went to $600 would be the kind of thing that would happen to. My bill was $59 and change last month. I sent in a $60 dollar payment and checked today and the computer said nothing more than I had a .36 credit. My price is a fixed rate. I don't know what it will be come due date though. Shouldn't be much more than last month as I don't believe I've used as much so far this month as last month, Less laundry. My heat and cooking and water heater is propane Just use elec for the fans and elec pilot. Dryer hasn't run 6 times this month. Dishwasher maybe 3 times. Seldom use heat dry in that.
THIS. I was going to make this same point. Some people had chosen the variable rate plans so that for long periods of time, they’re paying less than other people and gambling that the rates won’t go up. They lost that bet last week. Obviously, very few people can afford to pay a $10-17,000 electric bill and nobody would have ever dreamed that their gamble would have turned out that way. But it did. I suspect that people just won’t pay it and I think governor Abbott has said power won’t be cut off for non payment.

Abbott has been on the news quite a lot the past couple of days blasting ERCOT and promising investigations and changes. We’ll hold him to that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
THIS. I was going to make this same point. Some people had chosen the variable rate plans so that for long periods of time, they’re paying less than other people and gambling that the rates won’t go up. They lost that bet last week. Obviously, very few people can afford to pay a $10-17,000 electric bill and nobody would have ever dreamed that their gamble would have turned out that way. But it did. I suspect that people just won’t pay it and I think governor Abbott has said power won’t be cut off for non payment.

Abbott has been on the news quite a lot the past couple of days blasting ERCOT and promising investigations and changes. We’ll hold him to that.
They were also contacted and told what was about to happen.

I don't know about you, but if my electric company sent me an email and voicemail telling me to change providers because I'm about to run up a $8000 bill, I'd just go hit the emergency shut-off at the pole. Not just let it happen and then act shocked they actually billed me at that rate.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts

I don't know about you, but if my electric company sent me an email and voicemail telling me to change providers because I'm about to run up a $8000 bill, I'd just go hit the emergency shut-off at the pole. Not just let it happen and then act shocked they actually billed me at that rate.
Yep, a vacation in Cancun is so much cheaper than those electric bills.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Yes. You’re right. They were warned. Best plan of action would be to turn off water and drain the plumbing so pipes wouldn’t freeze, turn off electricity, and find someone to stay with to keep warm. But, for many, it wasn’t possible to travel anywhere.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Amazingly, many people don't know how to turn off the water, without heat they should have known that pipes would freeze, the apartment dwellers may not have had a choice but the house dwellers sure did. Also, they could have gathered in one room with blankets and sleeping bags to stay warmer. Food could have been put outside. Oil lamps could have provided light and some heat.
Many people just don't know how to deal with this kind of thing.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts