Tethering

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, May 26, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I thought I saw a thread here long ago about tethering pigs but I coudln't find it. Has anyone tried it or know about it? I wondered if it might work to fence a large area and then move the pigs around on tether so they would eat the grass but not destroy it. Would one of those corkscrew stakes be strong enough to hold them?

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the pig, the breed, and how well fed it is. I wouldn't even attempt it with one of our Tamworths,

a) The amount of ground damage they can do in mere seconds is astonishing,
    b) They are like self guided missiles on legs, it would take an extraordinarily strong chain/anchoring to hold them,
    c) Moving pigs by a lead might be a serious rodeo.

3. Firefly

LOL! That is what I'm afraid of just trying to get them to their new quarters! Sigh.

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Just reading these posts made me laugh! I'm getting some funny visuals. Reminds me of a thread awhile back - talked about giving the pigs a little 'something' to help them load. Well, we tried it - found out one of our pigs was a happy drunk - the other, well, you can imagine! VERY interesting afternoon. It ended with all three of us, trembling with exhaustion - in a heap. (me, dh, and pig)

Best way to move pigs that we've come up with - a 'chute' out of pallets wired together. I don't think a stake in the ground would last long - I'm thinking something like a huge eyebolt buried in a big ol' tree might work. I'd love to know what part of a pig a tether would attach to? They seem ergonomically designed to avoid roping. :)

Niki

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

To tie a pig, you put the rope around it's leg above the lower joint. You can't lead a hog very well, but you can drive it. With the rope around it's front leg it can't run away from you. I've seen depression days homesteaders take their sow to the neighbors boar using a rope around the front leg. Now I'm wondering if it was harder to drive her back home than it was to get her there? LOL
    Also several years ago I read a farm magazine article about a hog farmer who had his sows all tethered to eye bolts in a concrete floor. They stayed there until time to farrow, and were moved to crates. I guess that never caught on.
    If you don't want your pigs to plow your ground, you will have to put rings in their noses.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

To tether a hog a harness similar in design but much larger to what you see on some small toy dogs is used. My opinion is that it would not be a problem provided you started the training when the animal was young. When I worked in Asia I saw an old farmer that had a big boar that was broke to a leash. Each evening the farmer would take the boar for a stroll. You ever notice how an elephant is tethered? Usually with a rope. Once the animal subdued to the chain restraint used during the initial breaking to being tied the animal does not "test" the tether afterward.

7. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I have two small pot belly pigs I was thinking about trying this on...will have to use a harness, at least later when their necks disappear...If I do this I'll try to get back with the results...

My reaction to the idea of tethering a meat hog was similar to some of your thoughts...like trying to tether a bulldozer...but if the hog was trained early, it might work, but I'd still use a really heavy chain. Electric fence is probably going to be cheaper and maybe easier to use...I borrowed a heavy chain to use to move some logs with a ratchet winch and ended up not being able to carry it, I had to drag it because it must have weighed about 100 pounds (or more!)...30 to 50 feet long...

8. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

No, corkscrew won't hold pig. They would destroy the ground around any tethering post. Tethering often results in an animal circling until chain is wrapped so tight they hang themselves. if you fence a large enclosure, you could then run two polytape interior division fences to form a rectangular strip of grass, then move two polytapes sideways to move hogs to new grass.
    The whole tethering thing sounds like herding cats, LOL.

9. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

You should be able to train a pig to a tether if you start it young enough, i saw a movie not to long ago where somone was leading a pig on one, it was built exactly as agmantoo described, as a harness around the body the same as they make for dogs. If trained with a favorite treat like a hard boiled egg you can teach him to follow you anywhere you want to go for moving place to place.
    You will have to deal with how to secure it to something that the pig can't break. If you have several tree's on your property you could set up a run with the harness on the hog & on a roller on a steel cable overhead so it can't get it tangled up & it can move back & forth from tree to tree. when it starts wearing down the ground in that area move one side to another tree to create another run area & just keep moving it as needed.

10. Firefly

11. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

IF only we could harness the hog, and get him to plow in a straight line - or pull as a draft animal - then the whole, "self-guided missile with legs" would work to our advantage! DH and I LOVED that description. I saw a 765lb boar at the auction that I'm SURE could have done some serious trenching work! Forget the ditchwitch!

Tying a little pig, with a harness might be the way to go - I'd worry about them tangling up, though. Eventually, with a farm type hog - a custom harness would be in order.

Given the humorous now (incredibly frustrating then) nature of our past pig experiences - I've really enjoyed this thread - laughing at my past misadventures. We've only kept pigs a few years, so I'm sure they have plenty more in store for us...... :p

niki