Tethering Jersey calves

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Tom McLaughlin, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

What type of halter or harness have you used. I can't seem to find one to fit small Jersey calves. Thanks fur da help... Tom McLaughlin

2. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

They make a neck strap that works very well. It looks like a over sized dog colar. Your feed store should have them.

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Two years ago, I was able to get a calf halter at the local feed store.

It didn't fit too well on that year's calf, so I poked enough holes in it with a fire-heated ice pick, each one an inch apart all along the length of it and got it to fit him. That took three or four fittings before I got it small enough for him.

Luckily, it also fit this year's calf, which was probably 15 lbs. lighter than that one, because there wasn't anymore room for more holes to make it even smaller still.

I also tethered the calf two years ago on a light weight 20 foot chain with a ring on one end over a t-post. Only problem was, his mother was tethered too at that time as I didn't have all my pasture fencing done, and they weren't quite far enough apart, so I had to keep an eye on them and run down there every so often to untangle them! They were on separate posts that weren't quite far enough apart.

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I just use a piece of light chain, a D-ring, and a double swivel. I can adjust the chain as they grow and the calves quickly learn not to fight.

I even keep a neck chain on all my adult cattle so I can tie them if need be.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Most calf halters will fit a calf. We have some, they are rope halters. You adjust them by sliding the rope up and down, and fit accordingly. The last resort would be to make your own.

Jeff

6. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Thanks for the replies and advise,, With this heat they'll be in the barn so I got some time to look... The feed stores in this area cater to horse owners and keep iinventory low .. Tom McLaughlin

7. JHinCA

JHinCA Well-Known Member

We have used a sheep halter for a Jersey calf.

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I used light chain attached to one of those d rings on a leather belt as a collar I picked up at the thrift store

9. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

I found some mini horse halters that come in various sizes with instructions on measuring for proper fit. Thanks again for the help..

10. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to make mine from Bailing twine. By braiding it into A rope then tieing it as needed on the calf.