tetanus shot

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by agmantoo, Dec 27, 2004.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

What timeframe after a nasty farm injury can one wait before getting a tetanus shot?

2. kate

kate Well-Known Member

usually get a tetanus antitoxin shot which gives immediate but short lasting protection. then get regular tetanus toxoid shot which gives protection in about two weeks, but is long lasting. hope this helps a bit.

3. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Omigosh! I hope you weren't hurt too badly. If you haven't had a shot in the past few--what is it, 8 or 10--years, I highly recommed you break open the piggy bank and go get one. Like, soon.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Anybody working on a farm needs to keep their vaccination up to date. If you have an injury you need to get to the doc asap. When you start having symptoms is too late! You may not have any symptoms for 8 days, sometimes longer. Then again.... Ever see anybody with lockjaw! NOT pretty!

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope you cleaned whatever injury it is real well.

If your last tetanus shot was in the last ten years, you should be okay, but it's also a good idea to get a booster shot pretty quick to be on the safe side.

Feel better soon!

6. agmantoo

Thanks for the inputs. I have cleaned the wound thoroughly and have flushed it with peroxide twiced. I will get the tetanus shot tomorrow as it has been 6+ years since the last one and the wound was very dirty (manure contamination) and I need not take a chance.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

If it's been under 10 years, you should be good for tetanus. That's not to say there's nothing else in all the goo that could hurt you, but your immunization for tetanus should still be active.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Cost me 30 bucks by the way. I ripped my leg open on a jagged peice of metal a month or two ago and got my first tetanous shot since I was 10 years old. I was having the doc check some infection that had developed and before I knew it the pretty nurse was jabbing a needle in my arm.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, like Cyngbaeld said, better to get the shot than lockjaw!

10. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

The tetatus rule is 10 years but if you come in with a really dirty wound we will knock that down to 5 years.

We give the regular tetanus toxoid up to 24 hours after the wound. After that we use something else, I think it is tetanus immunoglobulin? Don't qoute me on that one. We don't give that near as often as the regular tet tox.

michele

11. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I saw a beautiful, black Great Dane..I will never forget her, her name was Jezabel and it was 30 yrs ago.....die of Tetnus...It was not pretty! This was many years ago and we tried our best to save her, but no go.

I don't think I would be on this forum if I had an injury like that... I'd be on my way to a Doc!!!

It's odd how horrors like that stay with a person. I know that with modern medicine you wil be OK....just take care of yourself......and be carefull! ;)

LQ

12. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

here it is 48 hours!

13. agmantoo

I now have the shot! Thanks everyone :)