Tetanus shot reminder

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cowgirlone, May 11, 2005.

1. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Just a reminder for any of you country folk that have not had your tetanus shot. You might want to consider getting your shot or renewing it if you have not had one in awhile. I believe they are good for 10 years. :)

2. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I've always been told yes 10 yrs
    but if injured and it's been over 5 years they like to
    give you one.

Any nurses out here who know the scoop?
    One would think that after 4 or 5 of them in a lifetime
    that a blood titter would show you're good to go.
    yes? no?

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Got mine a few weeks ago and hubby is getting one tomorrow. He scratched himself pretty bad this morning on a dirty rusty chicken cage.

4. cowgirlone

Good point Ranchlady43! I know I've had at least 4 shots in my life but I've never heard if you build up an immunity or not. Shoot, I just go in every 10 years and get another one! :haha: I'd be happy to skip it from now on.
    Ravenlost, sorry to hear about your hubby, hope he heals up fast.

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ummm, i dunno , last tetanus shot i got was when a goat moved and i gave my leg the shot instead of her, doc said it was ok , and not to worry, its the same meds ...
    that was 4 years ago ,
    i was always told 7 years for tetanus shots

but im a clumsy broad, and no thats not the first time the goats gave me my tetanus shot ...
    horses no , bigger target :D
    Beth

6. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Last fall my dd stepped on a nail. They told me then the new rules were 10/5. Not that she could HAVE the shot! :( But if you CAN get it, it is a very good thing!

Cheryl in SD

7. cowgirlone

Beth, we must be related!! I'm a clumsy broad too!!LOL

Cheryl, my dd did the same thing 12 years ago, went clear through her boot. Luckily she had her shot. I think you are probably right on the 10/5 rule.......I have not checked in several years.

I thought that so many people are moving to the country nowdays, they might not even be aware that they should have the shots. :)

8. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

10/5 in US if you've had your primary imms- a series of 4 or 5 as a child.

9. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy ya'll...when i worked as a medic in philadelphia we got them every 3 years and if ya got cut/stuck/scratched with a needle ya got another...i had one 3 years ago am no longer a medic and got cut on tin pretty deep on my arm....now i know the shot is suppose tobe good for 5 years...but i had to get one anyways...i told doc that I just had one 3 years ago...he said it dont matter if ya had one last year rusty/ole/dirty metal/glass/fencing anything of the sorts and ya get another one...i asked if this was really needed...I was told he wasnt sure he didnt know of any studies on it but because of lawsuits every doc will give ya one anyways incase yer timing is off,you thought ya got the tetnus but was confused with another shot..and cause if gets infected even if ya did have a recent tetnus shot ya can come back if say loose a limb and have a full fledge lawsuit cause they didnt give ya a preventive shot!...now i hate these shots leaves a knot in my arms for days and can hardly lift it but i rather be safe then sorry....and as another prvent also get yer TB test done every 6 months!...dale anne

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

cowgirlone,
    Thanks for posting the good reminder for getting a tetanus shot.
    I just got one a month ago due to visiting the emergency room after a hand and face burn. Before that I hadn't had a tetanus shot for over 15 years and it was time for to renew that. With all the things we can get into out in the country, it's definitely a good idea to immunize against deadly tetanus.

11. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't even have to be out in the country. I seem to recall a Connecticut woman contracting tetanus from tending her rose bushes.

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

DON'T GET TB TESTS!

Exceptions: exposed to TB, symptoms of TB, job where you're dangerous to people if you get it and more likely to get it (medical, nursing home staff, probably not school staff but ask nurse), HIV positive or other disease that lowers your immune system, entering into nursing home as resident, few otehr things- ask your nurse/doctor or follow your work rules. And then don't get test if you wouldn't start treatment to ward off worse TB infection- the treatment is 6 or more months long and can cause serious side effects, usually not suited for those with liver problems or older.

from http://medicine.iupui.edu/pulmonary/ppdguide.htm

"Who should be screened for TB?

The following groups should be screened with the tuberculin skin test:

* Close contacts (i.e. those sharing the same household or other enclosed environments) of persons known or suspected to have TB
    * Persons infected with HIV or at risk for HIV infection
    * Persons who have certain medical conditions or medical risk factors known to increase the risk for disease if infection occurs
    * Persons who inject drugs or other locally defined high-risk substance users
    * Residents and employees of high-risk congregate settings (i.e. nursing homes, correctional facilities, mental institutions, other long-term care facilities, and shelters for the homeless)
    * Health-care workers who serve high-risk clients
    * Foreign-born persons, including children, recently arrived (within five years) from areas where TB is common
    * Some medically underserved, low-income populations, including high-risk racial and ethnic groups
    * Infants, children, and adolescents exposed to adults in high-risk categories
    * Locally identified high prevalence groups

Who should not be routinely screened with the tuberculin skin test?

Neither children nor adults need to be screened for TB unless other risk factors are present. In addition to others, the following is a list of groups not considered to be at high risk:

* School children and daycare attendees
    * Foreign-born persons living in the US for more than 5 years
    * Pregnant women
    * Foodhandlers
    "

13. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

About 2 years ago I went in to get mine updated because of some flood relief work I was going on. They wouldn't give it to me. They said they only would if I had an accident. So much for prevention.

14. cowgirlone

You're sure welcome moonwolf!
    Sorry to hear about your burns, hope you are healing fast.

Ajaxlucy, that's a good point! You don't have to live in the country to contract it. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Jenn and Dale anne, thank you for the information. I had not thought about TB in a long time. I appreciate the update! :)

15. cowgirlone

Wow BCR, hope your shots were up to date.

16. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

My doc actually recommends every five years for anyone who works in and around dirt - if you garden, farm, have animals, etc... The reason being is that a tetanus bearing wound can be so small that you don't even really think of it as a real injury. He lost a farmer out here some years ago to a tiny injury from picking up a thorny stick. So now, he really encourages those of us who do homesteady things to keep them up to date, every five years like clockwork, and a booster if you have any major penetrating injury.

Sharon

17. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I'm due for one this year. I've been putting it off because the shots make me sick as a dog for a week.